Vélo Birmingham death of cyclist.

tom73

Veteran
So sad to see this

Rip and thoughts to the family.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-48253277

The event looks to have been not without other issues

Glad the the above report has been updated as it started off reporting death of a horse as vet stoped from getting to emergency. With this just added on with a few lines now this is the main story.

Cycling press report one driver arrest for what believed to be the running over a marshal and another motorist ignored instruction driving into oncoming riders and mounting the pavement endangering spectators.

https://road.cc/content/news/260539-arrest-made-velo-birmingham-midlands-marshal-reportedly-run-over-and-left-broken

Venod

Eh up
Police are appealing for any witnesses and camera footage after the death of a rider in the Velo Birmingham event.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-48247437

Milkfloat

An Peanut
As one of the late starters I went through a couple of hours afterwards and you could tell it was a bad one, the police were in attendance and nothing had been moved from the scene. It certainly made me slow down for a while. My condolences to his family and friends.

Joffey

Veteran
Having done Ride 100 I'm surprised there isn't more incidents - for me there seems to be far too many riders allowed to ride.

Always sad to hear of issues detailed in the links.

ColinJ

Puzzle game developer
Tragic!

It may not be what happened here but TBH I have seen some really bad riding on this kind of event. Large numbers of inexperienced cyclists trying to go fast on unfamiliar roads ...

This fatality was at "a rural location with a steep downhill section with tight left and right bends". I rode one event with a similar downhill and found out that one rider had hit the kerb on the first bend and slammed into a nearby dry stone wall. A second rider shortly afterwards did the same thing but went over the wall, breaking his leg in the process. You could see the bends from half a mile back up the hill and there were clear s-bend signs indicating that they were coming up. There were also chevron signs next to the wall. Nobody who knew what they were doing would have crashed there, unless someone who did not know what they were doing had got involved.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
The nature of these events are that it is entirely possible to be wiped out by another rider. I rode this event and actually thought that people were better behaved than the previous time it was on and certainly RideLondon. I do question the organizers mixing up abilities so much with fast clubs / individual riders starting behind the people doing the 42 mile route. From the timings I have seen this unfortunate incident would have happened to someone setting off in the first few waves who was making very good progress a.k.a. a fast rider who you could surmise knew what they were doing.

Globalti

Legendary Member
My own crash in August was entirely due to my recklessness. I could have died.

Shudder.

That’s really bad news. I did the first one 2 years ago, it was not enjoyable. Thoughts go out to the F&F of the dead rider.

Last edited:

dickyknees

Veteran
I rode this event and actually thought that people were better behaved than the previous time it was on and certainly RideLondon. I do question the organizers mixing up abilities so much with fast clubs / individual riders starting behind the people doing the 42 mile route
My thoughts exactly. I rode the Vélo for the first time this year and has the makings of a fast course, but did seem to be very busy for the first half of the course. Once the split after 42 miles it was less congested for us on the 100 miles.

As previously mentioned thoughts and condolences to the rider's family and friends.

Last edited:
I do wish the BBC would not use words such as competing and race. They should know better.
If you pin a number on people and time them, it’s a de facto race. Anyone in that ‘race’ is therefore ‘competing’. This is one of a thousand reasons I won’t participate in these events, without a good reason. The Ride London 100 is the only exception for me, and I always do that for a charity, and couldn’t really give a monkey’s about the time I take to do it. I like the Isle of Wight Randonee, because it isn’t timed, and you don’t get numbers ( not ones you have on the bike etc. anyway).

Last edited:
Top Bottom