Van Nicholas

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Lovely bikes, but rather expensive. I ended up "spending" €4,000+ on their bike customiser on the website.
Better start saving! :thumbsup:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
They are lovely bikes and one will be my next purchase.
The only thing that let's them down is that the graphics on the frame look pretty shyte (sorry to any Van Nik owners out there)

YahudaMoon

Über Member
Expensive and no lug work >>>> Just butted welds. Poor. Also no paintwork. OK its titanium though at them prices Id want a quality paint job and a lugged frame.

As its titanium with no paintwork Id guess the stickers would peel off easy if you wanted to remove them, or do you get a lacquered frame ?

To many dull looking titanium frames knocking about nowadays imo. Years back they painted em

yello

I know there are many many fans of Van Nicholas bikes (and from the reports I read, rightly so it seems) but I would never buy one. I fully admit that it's pure preference/bias but there's just something about them (or their image perhaps??) that I don't like.

(Says he that's just professed undying cultish love for a Brooks saddle!)

Edit: but I do love playing with those web configurator tool thingie!!

Lovely bikes, but rather expensive. I ended up "spending" €4,000+ on their bike customiser on the website.
Better start saving! :thumbsup:

I am not comparing the bikes here for a second, but you can spend more than that custom building a Madone on Treks Project One site. When they launched the Project One I 'spent' about £9000 building myself a Madone :wacko:

Didn't
Wouldn't buy one though.

PK99

Legendary Member
Expensive and no lug work >>>> Just butted welds. Poor. Also no paintwork. OK its titanium though at them prices Id want a quality paint job

Why?

the advantage of Titanium is that it does not corrode and therefore does not need paint protection, and any scratches can be buffed out, all a paint job does is give you something that looks good till it chips or scratches.

wrt lugging:

<a name="lug1">You don't see lugged aluminum or lugged titanium frames because these materials can't be brazed as easily as steel. The hype is that welding is better than brazing. The truth is you can't braze aluminum or titanium like you can braze steel! Brazing is simply a great way to put high quality steel frames together, that other frame materials can't match.
http://www.henryjames.com/productlug.html

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Titanium is the price and weight of high-end carbon. It will last much longer, and gives a more forgiving ride. It looks at the same time classier and less obviously expensive.

YahudaMoon

Über Member
Why?

the advantage of Titanium is that it does not corrode and therefore does not need paint protection, and any scratches can be buffed out, all a paint job does is give you something that looks good till it chips or scratches.

wrt lugging:

http://www.henryjame...productlug.html

Lugged titanium frame with paint.

brucegordontiseatlug.JPG

jayonabike