Vango spirit 200+

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cockney Scot

just recieved the Vango Spirit 200+ and the footprint and I am well impresse weighing in at a combined 3.2 kg yet enomorous in size.havent had a weekend away yet, but am loking forward to the 1st trip. . I have put the tent up in the garden and cant believe the size compared to the weight. They say 1st impresions are lasting impresions , have to say i am impressed.

Jugular

Do footprints cover the underside of the inner tent as well as the porch area? I don't figure I'd camp anywhere rough enough to bother with a footprint for the inner tent but the porch area might make sense. It must weigh 800g which is quite a weight for something I can't see being that necessary.

I haven't put mine up but the quality compared to my last tent was obvious just by taking out of the baggy. I hope I'm as impressed as you are. Fitting two of us and our exped downmats in there with me being 6'4" is a big ask of any tent.

Crankarm

Guru
delt1c said:
just recieved the Vango Spirit 200+ and the footprint and I am well impresse weighing in at a combined 3.2 kg yet enomorous in size.havent had a weekend away yet, but am loking forward to the 1st trip. . I have put the tent up in the garden and cant believe the size compared to the weight. They say 1st impresions are lasting impresions , have to say i am impressed.

I really like the look of this tent and have been tempting myself with one for some time. Not sure whether to get the 200+ or 300+. Let us know how you get on with it. What colour is it? The 3.2kg weight you quote does that include the footprint weight? And what area does the footprint cover? Would love to see some pics of it with of course bike. Apart from your garden where is the first trip going to be?

ASC1951

Guru
Jugular said:
I don't figure I'd camp anywhere rough enough to bother with a footprint for the inner tent but the porch area might make sense.
Under the inner tent is where you need it most, unless you are on your back lawn. The whole point of a footprint is to protect the inner from sharp stones, bits of twigs, bottle tops, glass etc which can puncture it when you kneel on them and destroy an expensive piece of kit. The bit in the porch is just to make it easier when you cook or to find things you have dropped - you can manage without it.

The lighter and pricier the tent, the more you need something. For my goretex bivvi tent I use a knackered full length survival bag; if I'm camping from the car, a piece of thin proofed wagon sheeting.

OP
OP
C

Cockney Scot

when I put the tent up in the garden I didnt use the footprint. But the foot print looks like it is made to fit the whole tent, porch included, I will check it iut over the weekend if dry. The weight of the footprint is so minimal I doubt you would even notice it on the bike, it also folds up very small so doesnt take up much space. As well as protecting the inner tents ground sheet from sharp objects it also keeps it clean and dry, so if packing up the flysheet wont get wet or dirty from the inner tents ground sheet.
Not sure where or when 1st trip will be, might see if I can manage a long weekend in New Forest. I fancy doing Highlands in Autum, taking the sleeper from London to Aviemore, then head south at a lesuirely pace and return on the sleeper 2 weeks later.

GrahamG

Guru
Funny - I've had one of these tents in the cupboard for ages (jumped on a bargain a few months back) and we just pitched it this weekend for the first time. Looks great, and the dark green should make stealthy wild camping a little less obvious (although there are some reflective bits on it). The inner material does feel fairly thin though so bit of tarp or plastic sheet under there is probably a good idea.

OP
OP
C

Cockney Scot

Lovely sunny day so have taken the opportunity to put the tent up properly (bag garden again),took about 20mins to get it right which I don't think is bad considering my last tent experience was over 10 years ago.

Colour is green, so ideal for wild camping as it wont stand out.
Added bonus is the one I ordered at discount price was a 2008 model , but as they had all gone they gave me a 2009 for discounted price.

Answers to Questions,
the weight of 3.2kg INCLUDES the footprint actual tent was 2.8kg on the scales so weight wise it is good.
The footprint covers the whole of the inside of the tent including the porch which is very handy and as it is the bespoke footprint for the tent it clips onto pre set points in the tent (no pegs needed for footprint). Worth spending the extra £20 to protect the tent and act as a ground sheet for the porch.
Considering the light weight it almost 14ft long and 5ft wide and the porch area is enormous (almost as big as sleeping area). Very roomy for 1 and adequate for 2 people. Whilst the porch is big enough to accommodate my bike, it will be staying outside, I found a nylon cover I bought years ago so that will be used for the bike. Reckon if I make 2 holes in the cover (heat seal them) then I can cover the bike and secure it to a tree or pole with my lock which is sold secure and 1.8m long.

The instructions are good but took a bit of reading to fully understand, especially the TBS system for tensioning the tent.
Ventilation is more than adequate and there is a mesh vent on the sleeping compartment door which can be opened or closed with a zip, hook for hanging a light in both the porch and sleeping area and pockets in the inner tent for storage of odds and ends.
Have to say seeing the tent up properly I am glad that I went for the Vango Spirit 200+ , it was dearer but seems to worth the extra, the 300 I reckon for 1 person might have been a bit big.
Next step is to see how everything stows onto the bike.
Current intention is to put the tent and sleeping mat (secured in waterproof bin liner) on the top of the rear rack secured with Bungees.
Sleeping bag and liner(again in waterproof bag) in Front pannier, cooking utensils and stove (single burner ) split between 2 rear panniers then clothes and personal items split between front and rear panniers ensuring even weight distribution. Front n/s pannier will be designated the wet pannier.
Wet weather gear on top of rear panniers (Easy to get to) and valuables in handle bar bag. I dont intend carrying food other than a couple of packets of dry noodles for emergency as I can get that at local shops. Water I will use the bikes water bottles
I am hopping the main trip will be 2 weeks in the Highlands, heading North on the sleeper to Aviemore then a spending several days in Aviemore visiting surrounding area . Slowly head south stopping of along the way and then eventually heading south again from Perth or Stirling by sleeper.
Weird to think it is larger than my last ridge tent was and weighs a fraction.
cant wait for the summer to use it.
Now I just have to get the sleeping bag, mat and phone charger.;)

Crankarm

Guru
Cheers delt1c. Nice review of first impressions. I am impressed with what I have read about the tent and your comments. Sounds like an excellent buy for the solo tourer with the full set of panniers and all the other paraphernalia. A bit of luck you got a 2009 model at an 2008 price if indeed it has an advantage over the '08 model. Thanks for explaining the footprint groundsheet so fully. Sounds a must.

There's a few Bank Hols coming up which hopefully will be fine and dry, would be nice to get out and do some touring with the tent. Currently my tent is a Vaude Taurus Ultralight which I have used for touring with my Brompton in France. It's a great tent but bought specifically as space and weight were a real issue touring on the Brompton, but with panniers on longer tours it might be just a little small. Mind you it does encourage you to carry only that which you need. The more space the more you tend to carry but the 200+ seems to be ideal.

Happy camping

;)

samid

Veteran
On the subject of footprints, this may sound obvious but it wasn't to me so I thought I'd point out that once you've clipped the footprint to the tent you needn't unclip it when you pack the whole thing, just keep it clipped in. At least with my Hillerberg Akto, this works perfectly, saves time and keeps the insides dry if pitching in the rain.

Crankarm

Guru
Samid, Anything that makes life easier ;). I see you are Toronto way. Canada or Lincs. UK? If Canada you have the mother of all scenery and wilderness on your doorstep. If Lincs UK, you don't. Fly camping must be de rigeur and certainly must make for tricky moments sharing your space with bears!?

samid

Veteran
Crankarm, it is Toronto Canada :biggrin: - just updated my profile to make things clear, didn't know there was a Toronto in the UK. Yes, bears... last summer my son was in a camp and saw one scavenging the bins while taking the garbage out. I'm glad we only have black ones here on the east coast, not grizzlies :biggrin:

RussellEngland

I have the same tent and its been great for me. I'm 6 foot 2 with a little extra padding :cry: and find it very roomy - even with company :biggrin: Its very easy to put up, even in winds. I carry it for backpacking and wild camping but I'm planning a bicycle tour this summer. So think I will invest in the footprint and wouldn't mind the extra weight on a bike. To be honest I didn't know one was available until you mentioned it. Cheers. Russ.

OP
OP
C

Cockney Scot

i didnt know there was a specific footprint for the Spirit 200+ until I was ordering it.Here is the link where I got my footprint and tent.

http://www.springfield-camping.co.uk/Vango/Spirit+200++Footprint+2009/923/pc.
Have just got the sleeping bag, opted for a Pro Action Ultra Light 100gsm Sleeping Bag. very light and packs small, only cost £19.49 in Argos and at the same time got a Xtreme Lite 3/4 Self Inflating Mattress. Didnt realise at the time it was 3/4 , but seems comfy enough.
Just got to get a sleeping bag liner now. Fancy a fleece one , but will see what I can find.

Top Bottom