Veloce Vs Ultegra groupsets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

Which one is best in your opinion?

The ultegra is a bit more expensive than the veloce, I can get a veloce groupset for £285 (although the 2009's cost a tad more)...any reason why I should spend more?

the bloke in the LBS just told me that campy veloce is noisey and horrid and costs £700! he suggested ultegra which is what he just hsappened to stock...;)

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
As Jim says,

Veloce is more like 105
Centaur is more like Ultegra.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

Ok..
I have only ever known shimano (tiagra) I am ignorant of the additional benefits the higher end stuff has, I simply assume it is 'better'.

But what does 'better' mean?
Am I right to assume it is mae of better metal for example? That my switching will be easier? That I'll strip less cog teeth (not that I do so now)?

I cant afford the centaur groupset, I am sure it is much better though.
I can afford campy veloce and thta groupset comes with short breaks which apparently are what my intended frame is designed to take. It is purely this short break thing wich has led me to campagnolo groupsets.
More durable you say...this is good I say.

you will know when your gear has engaged!

ok this is interesting...do you mean it isnt as smoothe as shimano shifting? I can always tell when my gear is engaged on my tiagra set...or is this a polite way of saying it is loud n' clonkey ?

Tynan

Veteran
lowly xenon man here but I thought the campag shift was a bit clunky at first, now I like it, it's very definite

kyuss

Veteran
Bigtallfatbloke said:
Ok..
I can afford campy veloce and thta groupset comes with short breaks which apparently are what my intended frame is designed to take. It is purely this short break thing wich has led me to campagnolo groupsets.

Don't mean to confuse you in your quest for the perfect bike, but Shimano groupsets come with short reach brakes as well. No real need to only consider Campag for this reason alone (though Campag will get you brownie points with die hard roadies).

Top Bottom