Velomobile subsidy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bill B-J

I would like to be a velomobile owner, and reduce the family car ownership by one. (Stay fit, reduce carbon foot print, raise quality of life...........) A velomobile's all weather ability, and increased efficiency making it (I'm sure,) a realistic car substitute for me.

Got my eye on a carbon Quest, or maybe a Mango sport. 7 or 6000 Euro!

New electric cars can receive a susidy of £5000.

Wrote to my MP, George Freeman. He kindly replied, saying that he would ask the minister of transport if a subsidy could be extended to velomobiles.

Perhaps I am dreaming, but maybe if many people wrote to their MP's, something might happen?

What do you think?

byegad

Legendary Member
It seems to be a good idea. I'd love to do the same, Velomobiles are certainly a more proven technology than electric cars and have a much lower carbon footprint.

squeaker

Über Member
£5k represents about 20% of the purchase price of a super-mini sized electric car. Should we be asking for £5k per velomobile on the grounds that most cars only carry one person most of the time (and a velomobile's lifetime carbon emissions are way lower than an electric car's), or 20% of the typical velo purchase price?
Worth nagging your MP whatever, though :smile:

Great idea! But why stop at velomobiles? I'd like a minimum £5000 grant for my bicycle please - since i am getting an electric car off the road whose emissions and environmental impact are the same or greater than a regular car.

markg0vbr

Über Member
Great idea! But why stop at velomobiles? I'd like a minimum £5000 grant for my bicycle please - since i am getting an electric car off the road whose emissions and environmental impact are the same or greater than a regular car.
they already did it was called the cycle to work scheme!.

"As an employee you can make huge savings on a new bike and safety equipment. The "tax break" allows you to obtain a brand new bike hired from your Employer which is free from Tax and NI. (Up to 52% savings can be made). You simply agree to forgo a small amount of your salary on a monthly basis over 12 or 18 months, so you can get a top quality bike and accessories to commute to work on."

it would be nice for every bike but that will never happen :rolleyes: the powerful car lobby would go mental!

no vat and a 0% loan pay it back like the cycle to work scheme but say over 5years, could be a way to go, you would still be saving plus not taking a lot out of the public purse.

the £5000 for electric cars is a nonsense and should never have happened.

byegad

Legendary Member
A bike 'subsidy' is OK but 'Cycle to Work' only benefits the employed and after the Revenue Men got involved it's no longer the bargain it once was. The £5k break for electric car is available to any buyer and is there to encourage development. As I said before, Velomobiles are much more developed and green than any electric car.

OP
OP
B

Bill B-J

And , the 'Bike to work Scheme' has a cap of £1000.

So recumbents are discriminated against, not eligable for the scheme, due to the price being greater than £1000!

Top Bottom