Video management

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mumbo jumbo

So. I've rejoined the throng of helmet cam cyclists. There's several things I want to do:

(a) build up a rolling defensive database of vids of my full commute. This will probably be immensely boring but that's the point really. It'll show that I'm a safe cyclist, not some ninja lycra terrorist, and help my lawyers if (God forbid) I'm ever in court

(b) have direct evidence in the event of an incident / claim

(c) post bits and pieces here

(d) send silly cyclist clips to gaz

etc . . .

My commute is about 25-30 mins, depending on luck at lights etc.

I have:
  • a YouTube account
  • a Photobucket account
  • Windows (Vista or XP, can't remember which)
  • Quicktime Player on my pc
I tried to upload a commute yesterday. It's too big to upload to Photobucket or YouTube. I found Windows Movie Maker among my programmes and tried to cut the vid in two. But I didn't seem to be able to do what I wanted (mainly cos I didn't seem to be able to get the imported vid into the "storyboard").

So please somebody - can I have a simple guide to how to manage my videos! Thanks . . .

mj

I wouldn't bother saving the videos indefinately - yes storage is cheap, its just really a waste of time. And I wouldn't bother uploading every single commute, even more waste of time - plus any subscribers if you want them, will be bored of "plain cycling" and thus won't really take notice of stuff that you actually want comments/oppinions on.

If you are ever archiving video, save the highest quality copy you can (thus the original). Store the files in folders based on date 2011\ 04\ 18\ if you must.

Youtube has (or had?) a limit on length, not size.

delport

Try Vimeo as well

View: http://vimeo.com/20919333

it's a good free site for uploading videos to.I've used it for the last 6 months.That video didn't turn out as planned, video is jerky for some reason, the original is fault free.

Regarding vimeo, i can upload 500 mb a month as a free user.
That 16 minute video clip i uploaded was nearly 500 mb i think.

thomas

the tank engine
So. I've rejoined the throng of helmet cam cyclists. There's several things I want to do:

(a) build up a rolling defensive database of vids of my full commute. This will probably be immensely boring but that's the point really. It'll show that I'm a safe cyclist, not some ninja lycra terrorist, and help my lawyers if (God forbid) I'm ever in court

(b) have direct evidence in the event of an incident / claim

© post bits and pieces here

(d) send silly cyclist clips to gaz

etc . . .

My commute is about 25-30 mins, depending on luck at lights etc.

I have:
  • a YouTube account
  • a Photobucket account
  • Windows (Vista or XP, can't remember which)
  • Quicktime Player on my pc
I tried to upload a commute yesterday. It's too big to upload to Photobucket or YouTube. I found Windows Movie Maker among my programmes and tried to cut the vid in two. But I didn't seem to be able to do what I wanted (mainly cos I didn't seem to be able to get the imported vid into the "storyboard").

So please somebody - can I have a simple guide to how to manage my videos! Thanks . . .

mj

I wouldn't bother saving the videos indefinately - yes storage is cheap, its just really a waste of time. And I wouldn't bother uploading every single commute, even more waste of time - plus any subscribers if you want them, will be bored of "plain cycling" and thus won't really take notice of stuff that you actually want comments/oppinions on.

If you are ever archiving video, save the highest quality copy you can (thus the original). Store the files in folders based on date 2011\ 04\ 18\ if you must.

Youtube has (or had?) a limit on length, not size.

Yeah, time limit is (or was) 10 minutes. I wouldn't bother saving every single commute, presumably if you had an accident the rest of the video would show safe cycling...and I can't imagine anyone would actually care to watch the other videos to find out. If you really care buy a cheap 15gb memory stick of Amazon. You could compress the video in movie maker then save some on that until it's full then stop worrying about it.

I only keep 'incidents' but there isn't really any need as it's all on youtube. When I run out of HD space they'll probably be the first to go :tongue:

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I've got several months of videos stored on an external 2TB hard drive. When that fills up i just delete the oldest month.
I also use that hard drive to store clips of bad /dangerous driving and silly cyclists. I don't upload everything to youtube and often remove some of the lighter stuff off youtube after several months.

OP
OP
mumbo jumbo

mumbo jumbo

Thanks for comments so far. To be clear, I'm not looking to share my boring commutes with the world! I'd keep them private and could share them (or my nearest and dearest could) with lawyers acting for me if anything awful ever happened. Sounds like the external hard drive is the way forward with this (rather than clogging up space on my YouTube a/c for example)

I guess the main other question I have is: What do people use to edit their videos? I tried Movie Maker without success (but that could just be me being dim!). Is there anything better / easier?

Thanks.

mj

BSRU

A Human Being
Thanks for comments so far. To be clear, I'm not looking to share my boring commutes with the world! I'd keep them private and could share them (or my nearest and dearest could) with lawyers acting for me if anything awful ever happened. Sounds like the external hard drive is the way forward with this (rather than clogging up space on my YouTube a/c for example)

I guess the main other question I have is: What do people use to edit their videos? I tried Movie Maker without success (but that could just be me being dim!). Is there anything better / easier?

Thanks.

mj

I use Power Director Deluxe 8, does everything I need but do not have any experience of other video editors to compare it with.

A lot depends on what file format your camera uses. Some AVI files can be very difficult for general, low end editing software to handle. It can be a long, technical slog getting a particular video editor to play with a particular file format and even when a solution is found it can be extremely slow work as a huge amount of processing power can be required. You're not guaranteed to avoid these problems by buying more expensive software either if the format isn't directly supported.
Tell us which camera you are using and hopefully one of us will have experience of using the same files. Then we can tell you what we use to edit and publish.

OP
OP
mumbo jumbo

mumbo jumbo

I used to have the ATC2K which was hopeless. I've just got the DogCam Bullet HD. Footage is much better
rolleyes.gif

OP
OP
mumbo jumbo

mumbo jumbo

+1

Their demo vid isn't that great an example (and has stutters anyway).
You get what you pay for and at £100 this is never going to be the best quality around. Watching back unedited vids at home I'd say the quality is better than quite a few of the vids posted here. I've now successfully managed to edit one vid (using Windows Movie Maker) with some written commentary / overlay and this seems to impair quality quite a bit (judder). I've not uploaded anything to YouTube yet but I suspect that this will impact on quality too. I'll try to upload something over the Easter weekend.

Judgment therefore reserved at the moment. It might be a case of finding the right combination of editing software etc to optimise output.

mj

Top Bottom