Viking bikes...any good

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
My nephew was after a road bike 2nd-hand. He asked me if Viking bikes were any good but I've never heard of them :blush: . Any opinions on them?

tyred

Legendary Member
When was it made? Viking has been through many different guises over the years.

tyred

Legendary Member
I can't comment. It's too modern for me. They made some nice old steel frames years ago and I have special interest in their 1980s products as they were built very close to where I live. I don't know what happened after that.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Fair enough.

i notice on the spec it has downtube shifters...don't know if he'll be a fan of them or not so i'll ask him.

Norm

I can't comment. It's too modern for me. They made some nice old steel frames years ago and I have special interest in their 1980s products as they were built very close to where I live. I don't know what happened after that.
Really? You might like this wee beastie, which has been sitting in my garage or under my arse since I bought it in about 1979.

th_DSCN2063.jpg

th_DSCN2060.jpg th_DSCN2056.jpg

bennydorano

Veteran
I have a mate who I cycle with regularly who bought one last year for near £500, I have a dearer bike yet I marvel at his yoke regularly, on his wheel just Friday night past I watched him shifting up through the gears - smooth as... and silent. He can squeeze a tune out of it too. From my, admittedly hands-off, experience I would recommend it. I often thought he paid more for it than £500 thou he swears he didn't.

tyred

Legendary Member
Really? You might like this wee beastie, which has been sitting in my garage or under my arse since I bought it in about 1979.

th_DSCN2063.jpg

th_DSCN2060.jpg th_DSCN2056.jpg

Lovely machine Norm. Not mad on the colour but a minor detail. Are those Michelin World Tours?

We sell Viking bikes. Nothing special but decent bikes all the same.

Norm

Lovely machine Norm. Not mad on the colour but a minor detail.
It was the '70s, I was 15, what can I tell you. :biggrin:

Are those Michelin World Tours?
They are certainly Michelin but I don't remember the specifics. The front one must be 15 years old, I was chuffed to heck last year that I was able to source another exactly the same for the rear.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Modern Viking bikes are cheap, cheerful and workable. A pal has one and it's fine, he rides 100 milers without issue on it and it's been mechanically sound.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Thanks for the replies, everyone. It was the modern Vikings my nephew was more interested in.

fatblokish

Guru
Stumbled upon...
My first "proper" bike was a Viking Warlord, it had Shimano downtube shifters with little rubber bits in the void, and Mafac drilled out brake levers.

Bought it in 1980 and did Lejog on it with a bunch of friends two years later.

Then it was nicked from college two years after that.

Happiest bike evah!

Top Bottom