Vino in trouble

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
The ever-controversial Alexander Vinokourov is in trouble again - a Swiss magazine has published e-mails between him and Alexandr Kolobnev which appear to show that Vino paid Kolobnev to win LBL in 2010 - Kolobnev basically sat up at the end of the race after the two had been in an escape together.

Vino's response? He's suing the magazine. It's Landis all over again...

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yawn. Another "professional race outcome is agreed between the riders" shock.

monnet

Guru
The obtaining of emails aside, it's not really a shock is it? People will be saying 6 day racing is a fix next...

rich p

ridiculous old lush
That's not really the issue here, everyone knows that informal agreements happen, it's the payment that is the issue.

That's true but it was commonplace in the dim and distant past. Ref. Shay Elliot, Tommy Simpson et al. I wonder if it ever went away or was simply more secretive.

oldroadman

Veteran
One thing to sort out a criterium, or even a mid-range race, but selling La Doyenne, a monument race, is another matter. There were rumours that in the past even a world championship may have been an agreed result, but no proof, just peloton gossip.
I just hope it's not true, though only time will tell, and a little matter of proof, not allegation or circumstantial evidence.

Bicycle

I find it perfectly logical and not at all surprising that this could/would/does happen.

Like the spectre of doping that haunted pro cycling for decades, it is just a part of the fabric to me and not really an issue.

I don't assume it's going on all the time, but it is neither surprising nor upsetting when it's rumoured that it's happened again.

Momentarily OT, but I've felt this way about test (and now one-day and T20) cricket for years. Cricket leaves me cold, but cricket loving friends huffed loudly at my innocent speculation. After the terribly sad Cronje business and the recent court case, there's no more loud huffing. Whenever I see a headline about a 'Shock England Batting Collapse' or similar, I try to raise an eyebrow, in the style of Roger Moore. I usually just look as if I'm trying to disguise a fart, but in my deluded mind I look archly wry.

As for cycling, even if everybody is more EPO than blood and even if they trade poolside appertments for a win, I am shocked on a regular basis by the concrete willpower and utter physical endurance of these cycling entertainers. Doping and rigging make not a jot of difference to my amazement at their deeds.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
It always happened. Kelly was a master at making arrangements, and, it is has been said that he got one of his Pernod's by coming second. Roche had to when Carrera Boys dumped him - people from other teams rode for him knowing that they'd be hired next year.

Doseone

Guru
I'm just going to add a +1 to the chorus of those who thought that "Sit up and I'll share my prize money" was probably commonplace.

Top Bottom