Vintage Tandem sold

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Time and realization have kicked in that we don't need 2 tandems and i can't bring my self to strip it for part's which was one of initial ideas when i bought it as i was on the look out for a set of bh 32/40 hole hubs and this machine had them !!!

Its not a Ken Bird that's for sure and the previous owner had no idea re make or age , so i can only presume at some point it may have been re painted (pre 1995 ) at Ken Birds hence the decals or perhaps someone had a spare set and had it painted somewhere else and just applied them , who knows ??

I have been told that the clip type head set and rear stay top mounts are both deffo pre 1950's style .

size wise its 20 3/4" at the front and 20" at the rear measured from centre of crank to centre of seat pinch bolt . Its paintwork is presentable but there are a degree of age and storage related knocks and bruises . Wheels are 26" x 1 1/4" steel rims laced and tied to BH solite 32 hole small flange fr hub and a 40 hole Airlite rear hub that is large flanged and a flip flop variety , tyres are cracked but useable . Gearing is done via a set of Williams d34 tandem specific cranks ( i think ) and is a 1 x 4 speed set up that on the 15 miles we have done copes quite well . A more modern Shimano crane rear mechanism and a suntour bar mounted friction changer do the moving around .

Brakes have been upgraded at some point to wienmann centre pull units fr & rr with koolstop pads fitted and they actually do slow it down a degree or 2 !!!

All the normal bits ie ecentric bottom brackets with no noticeable play , a more modern quill stem is shimmed to suit the clip type head set .

collection only from nn8 Wellingborough postcode or i might help a bit with a half way meet depending on timing etc etc .

asking £175 for this old girl and would like to see it get more use than we have given it .

some more details here Ken the Tandem

Please note the saddle bag , support and pedals shown in the pictures are not included , loads more pictures just ask

IMG_20170919_191404794.jpg IMG_20180415_105306292.jpg IMG_20180415_105311056.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Nobody before it goes on fleabay

Top Bottom