Violent peeps! Fridays and Saturday in town

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mozzy

I do find this whole violent thing quite disgusting now I am approaching a youthful 60. Since joining this forum I have been quite surprised at the frequency (in my short time here) of recurring threads/posts discussing violent behaviour towards treadly users.

This I suppose got me pondering (as you do) and whilst having a ponder, I recalled stories from a great friend who was when working as a call centre operative here in the Somerset area. He openly admitted that pretty much every Friday and Saturday evening from 21.00 hours to 04.00 hours, fighting people filled all of the cells up and they had to resort to just driving them round in police vans with cells on-board. When there was a break it would be domestic violence that prompted regular action from the Police; via said call centre ops.

Is it down to a gene missing, or something quite different that causes this to kick off? I appreciate the alcohol is probably the main culprit.

When I was young we had great fun when out 'clubbing' it. On a very very rare occasion something would indeed 'kick-off,' but was swiftly dealt with in a mandatory 'John Wayne' style. No knives, no glassing anyone, no kickings etc. Yes I will admit to dropping said nut just once or twice, but it was so rare and ONLY as a defence measure; NEVER ever in a provocative way.

I'm quite happy to apologise for putting my foot under another persons. How-how-how can this violent attitude be curbed? Is there indeed any answer; or is it yet another 'thing' one must accept the late 20th and thus far 21st century demand of folks???

Glad I'm not young again for sure!

Mozzy

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
I think it's one of those things that just comes and goes, waxes and wanes.

Remember, it's nothing new - the streets of Victorian London (and other places no doubt) were much more violent than they are today - just think of Dicken's Oliver Twist - certainly, it is a parody of life at the time, but it was not that far from the truth.

And go back still further to the 18th Century, before we had a police force as we know it today - the streets of inner London were pretty much under mob rule (particularly the area around Covent Garden and the Seven Dials). It was lawless to say the least.

And even further back - the mediaeval period was incredibly violent - murder was pretty common.

Ashtrayhead

Über Member
More fights are seen by cctv operators and police get called, plus nearly everybody's got a mobile phone so they ring up immediately, whereas in the past they would have had to look for a phone box that worked.

In some US states and IIRC in France it is now illegal to sell stimulant drinks such as Red Bull or Monster in the same venue as alcohol.

Firstly the stimulant can actually mask the amount of alcohol taken in and this has consequences both in short term as the drink eventually kicks in, but also on long term health as intake increases.

Secondly it means that these drunk individuals no longer "sleep it off' but are now hyper and looking for trouble.

Other studies have linked high energy drink with higher risk taking, and that they were linked to problem behaviour

It is of course chicken and egg... Do high energy drinks cause risk taking, or do high risk takers imbibe energy drinks.

bobg

Über Member
Where were you brought up Mozzy, I'm only a couple of years older than you and it was pretty violent on a Friday and Saturday round the East End of London when I was a lad.

OP
OP
Mozzy

Mozzy

Where were you brought up Mozzy, I'm only a couple of years older than you and it was pretty violent on a Friday and Saturday round the East End of London when I was a lad.

I lived near Reigate in Surrey but most of the going out was Sutton, Croydon and similar. Occasionally we went to London but cost at that age was legion. The cheaper the better.

Mozzy

gbb

Legendary Member
Nothings changed in 35 years surely ?

In the mid 70s, you'd get bunches of Nottingham lads going to Leicester or Grantham for a punchup.
Taking to a guy at work today, (funnily enough this fighting came up in the conversation)..he said he remembers when fen lads from one town would go every Friday or Saturday night for a punchup with the neighbouring town.

When i moved to Peterborough in the late 70s, it was renowned that fellas from Whittlesey (and other local villages probably) didn't have a good night out if there wasn't a fight after a skinfull.

I never got it myself :wacko:

diapason

A few years ago, (Edit: probably nearer 30) when pubs in Wales were closed on Sundays, boatloads of young Welsh lads used to come over to Watchet on the Campbell's steamers, drink themselves into the ground and get into fights with the locals. The problem resolved itself when Campbell's stopped sailings and, later, when pubs in Wales opened on Sundays.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Fighting on a Friday and Saturday is nothing new.

In the seventies is was was considered to be the done thing to fight in the Market Square in Darlington.

It was normal for neighbouring villages in North Yorkshire to organise fight gangs for the ritual Friday night/Saturday night/feast day fight.

Coach trips to Whitley Bay were not considered a success unless the passengers came back sporting cuts and bruises.

OP
OP
Mozzy

Mozzy

But why??? Is it considered fun
ohmy.gif

Top Bottom