Virtual Training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Krypton

I think I've seen a system where you can plug your rollers into a PC and do virtual cycling against your previous best times, or VR opponents - is there such a thing?

Does the software control the resistance on your rollers too?

Sounds like great fun ;)

barq

Tacx make something a bit like you describe (have a look here, I think Wiggle sell them).

I haven't used the system, but was wondering about it the other day because the weather was so rubbish. Has anyone on the forum tried one?

RedBike

Yes, the i-magic / fortius

Racing yourself is great for motivating you to push harder and riding a virtual route really helps relieve the boredom normally associated with using a turbo trainer.

I'm afraid the I-magic isn't very realistic. Despite the manufactures claims it struggles to replicate gradients much over 5% or low speeds. It doesn't really matter though. If you want a totally realistic ride then get a set of lights!

barq

Ah, ok, that's interesting. Realism in the sense of graphics wouldn't bother me, but I think I might want a bit more resistance than 5%.

RedBike

but I think I might want a bit more resistance than 5%.

You'd be surprised. As far as resistance goes the I-magic isn't a weakling. Most turbo trainers struggle to offer a high level of resistance at low speeds. If you want more resistance then just select a higher gear or pedal a bit quicker.

To compensate for the lack of resistance the trainer often uses a virtual speed instead of the actual speed of your rear wheel. You never actually find yourself doing 25mph up a 25% slope but you don't find yourself in first gear straining to keep the cranks turning either.

Top Bottom