Visit from the P fairy in the pissing rain tonight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bad boy

Über Member
Hi All,

On my way home and had about 2 miles left and I could hear the back wheel squelching as it was rapidly going down.

I stopped got out my co2 thingy and gave it a zap which got me another mile down the road before going down again.

Since I was close to home I decided not to try that can of sealant thing I got in the lbs a while back and walk home in the rain with it.

I replaced the inner tube and repaired the other one to use as a spare I think Ive done it OK and since took it out for a quick spin.

What I wanted to ask was two things, if I put the tube in wrong and it was pinched would it have gone down by now ?, and where the glass got through the tire I put a repair patch on the underside of the tire is this OK ? I thought it might be a good idea as there was a little gash left by the glass I took out.

Many thanks sorry if thats a little long winded

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
No need for a patch on Tyre usually

OP
OP
B

bad boy

Über Member
fossyant said:
No need for a patch on Tyre usually

Ok I appreciate that but its not going to be detrimental is it ?

do you think the tire would have gone down if I pinched it when putting it on by now ?.

OP
OP
B

bad boy

Über Member
hackbike 666 said:
Pinched would have gone down by now unless it's a slow p*nct*r* of course.

Thank you Hackbike ill sleep easier now

Much appreciated it was my first p*nct**e on the bike so I was worrying I bodged it up

What I mean is the one of my worries is waking up in the morning and finding the tyre flat so it's always best to check it in good time instead of five minutes before you leave if at all.

OP
OP
B

bad boy

Über Member
Yes I do check them every night, ive taken it out for a quick ride down the road all seemed well.

Ive got to say I have the Haynes bike book 5th edition but the bit on replacing a wheel doesnt make sense, other than that its a great book

rh100

I wouldn't worry over it - the main thing is that you got the glass out. If it does go again, find the cause, and if it's because of a bad fit then it's experience gained for next time. I havn't bothered patching the tyre myself - but can't see it would do any harm.

I decided against using the slime stuff myself - after reading what a mess they can make. I tried one of those slime tyre shield things - but was such a pain to refit after getting a p* anyway, I chucked it out and just hope for the best.

Sadly - it will be the first p* of many, so just think of it as practice for when you are further from home. Do you carry a spare tube or two?

You'd think they would come out with something really good by now.

OP
OP
B

bad boy

Über Member
rh100 said:
I wouldn't worry over it - the main thing is that you got the glass out. If it does go again, find the cause, and if it's because of a bad fit then it's experience gained for next time. I havn't bothered patching the tyre myself - but can't see it would do any harm.

I decided against using the slime stuff myself - after reading what a mess they can make. I tried one of those slime tyre shield things - but was such a pain to refit after getting a p* anyway, I chucked it out and just hope for the best.

Sadly - it will be the first p* of many, so just think of it as practice for when you are further from home. Do you carry a spare tube or two?

Yes I carry a spare tube, repair kit and a can of sealent which also blows the tire up to get me home !?.

I am bit overkill I know.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
I would imagine it was simply the glass the gave you a flat.

You tend to get pinch-flats when you have a big tyre that rolls suddenly against a hard edge (e.g. if you don't kick the back of the bike up hard enough when you mount a kerb at speed).

rh100

bad boy said:
Yes I carry a spare tube, repair kit and a can of sealent which also blows the tire up to get me home !?.

I am bit overkill I know.

You'll need it one day - better than getting stranded - I carry two tubes as I carry the spares when the GF comes out on a ride, plus the kit as sometimes just as quick to repair there and then.

I thought about getting the co2 stuff - but I have to keep pumping up and letting down to try to get the tyres to sit properly - I'd get through loads.

OP
OP
B

bad boy

Über Member
hackbike 666 said:
I heard those CO2 bulb thingies are no good....Is that true?

I used a 16g threaded cartridge that came with the air rush pump I bought and literally in 10 seconds the thing was empty !!.

It was good in that the tire was full in a short space of time but what a waste one go and its gone !.

I have not worked out how much air 16g equates to in a 700c tire I think its slightly short of 110 psi ?, I am probably wrong though, the pump does not have a gauge on it so its guess work.

Top Bottom