1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Volkswagen Retro Bike

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Van Nick, 7 May 2008.

1. Van Nick

Van Nick New Member

2. twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive Clinging on tightly

My Chopper :blush:

3. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

That stupid attempt to recreate a classic while bound by today's safety limitation that Raleigh made recently, and which failed abysmally?

Who ever heard of a Chopper that can't seat two people?

4. Night Train

Night Train Guest

Front wheel is too big. Original was 16" front, 20" rear.

I never wanted one, honest. I never looked at my mates with theirs and thought 'Why didn't I get one of those for Christmas?' no, never did that. I was really happy with the yellow banana bike my Dad bought me that all the other kids laughed at but I showed them. I really showed them when I started to build proper bikes. Proper choppers with long forks, low saddle and feet forward with a fat rear tyre and skinny front. So what if my bikes were 10'-12' long with the turning circle of a bus. I made them and I showed them. I really showed them I wasn't jealous of their pretend choppers. That's right I showed them.:blush:

5. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

Ah but on the original chopper, you put the passenger on the rear rack - then jumped off a curb, with howls from the rear...... The original chopper did have a message on the seat that it was not for two...

Loved mine, but just not cool when I had it - the Grifter was king !!

6. k-dog

k-dog New Member

Yeah, until you tried to carry it up some stairs - those things were made from solid pipes!

7. Alan Frame

Alan Frame Professional retiree

VW have form for doing this sort of thing...IMHO, the New Beetle ain't a patch on the old one.

It's hard to improve on a classic.

8. Renard

Renard Guest

I had a Grifter. I was probably the right for a Chipper back in the day.

9. Likewise the new vs. old Range Rover, or Mini, or almost anything you care to mention.

10. Night Train

Night Train Guest

The closest I got to a Grifter was having one of the knobby tyres on the back of my chopper. And even that blew open. It ripped right around the side wall and the tube came out, still inflated.

Home builts rock!

Just wonderng if VW will bring out a new retro eco transport will it be supply your own horse?

11. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

The new beetle is just a more expensive golf with less room in.

12. hubgearfreak

hubgearfreak Über Member

shite marketing:sad: