Volvo S40 D SE

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Plax

Guru
Who here has one, and can you put the back seats down and stick a bike in the back without taking the front wheel off? The last Saloon I had you couldn't put the back seats down (BMW, it was very impractical!).

Wanna know if it is worth going to look at, and getting a bike in the back is the main reason I'm interested in changing cars.

Plax said:
Who here has one, and can you put the back seats down and stick a bike in the back without taking the front wheel off? The last Saloon I had you couldn't put the back seats down (BMW, it was very impractical!).

Wanna know if it is worth going to look at, and getting a bike in the back is the main reason I'm interested in changing cars.

It'll be an arse, always is with saloons. Go look at a V40, they're nice and they look better.

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
Mmmm, Mr Plax has a Focus, but he won't let me put a bike in the back anyway.
V40 is an estate right?

Plax said:
Mmmm, Mr Plax has a Focus, but he won't let me put a bike in the back anyway.
V40 is an estate right?

Yep. Well I don't think they call it an estate but effectively it is but it's quite a nice shape, nicer than the saloon I'd say and the same length.

Hugo15

Über Member
The estate is the V50 now. I have a 2.0L diesel. It's nice to drive but it's not the biggest estate. I think it would probably take a bike with the front wheel still on but I usually take mine off as I find it easier to get the bike in and out. I had a Focus estate before the V50 and I could get the bike in that without taking the wheel off.

IIRC the Focus and the V50 are both now built from the same platform.

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
Gerry Attrick said:
Plax, unless you need more seats for the rugrats, get a van. Greatr for transporting bikes.

I have been thinking of something like a Renault Kangoo, Citreon Berlingo or even a Daihatsu Hijet actually. Quite like the look of the Kangoo. My dads Hijet was fun to drive and the bike plus dog got in the back easily, but a bit of a jalopy and has since died and gone to scrappy heaven.

I've got a V90. Let's just say I have sufficient room for a number of bikes with the back seats down. :tongue:

Plax said:
I have been thinking of something like a Renault Kangoo, Citreon Berlingo or even a Daihatsu Hijet actually. Quite like the look of the Kangoo. My dads Hijet was fun to drive and the bike plus dog got in the back easily, but a bit of a jalopy and has since died and gone to scrappy heaven.

I reckon the Kangoo looks the best out of them.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Plax said:
I have a VW Caddy which I'm very pleased with. Apart from it being a little noisier, it just like a car to drive.

Willow

Plax said:

Believe it or not I can get a bike in the back of my Astra (1.9CDTi vroom) with the seats down and, don't need to take the wheel off. Trouble is I don't like mud and dirt in the car so don't do it very often.

Top Bottom