Waiting for Red lights in London.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member

swansonj

Guru
I know where are a few lights that will not change for you - but do so instantly when a car appears. They just don't detect cyclists, so you could wait there forever. I must confess I treat those as a give way, the scofflaw that I am...
The usual argument is that traffic lights that fail to detect cyclists and therefore remain on red are not functioning correctly, and therefore the legal permission to proceed over a non-functioning light applies. No scoffing of the law involved!

Those of you doing the Prudential will pass over one such in Leatherhead, not that it will bother you. I usually stop just over the stop line, to ensure that the first car to arrive behind me gets as far as the detector loop. Experience shows that if a cyclist sits over the loop, a car can pull up behind and still not be detected by the lights.

OP
OP
T

tablatom

Thanks for all the replies.
I stop for some red lights and not for others.
When i do go through one, i always consider the whole situation, as i do all the time.
I respect all my fellow road users first.
If i go through a red light or ride down a wide foot path i ALWAYS go slowly and ALWAYS give pedestrians the right of way.
Sometimes going through a red light i might get off the bike and put one foot on a pedal and push through it.

If you have been to India, you will know where i am coming from. Ride with common sense, respect all others and everyone gets on fine.
In India, there are road rules, but EVERYONE just goes. And it works. Very little road rage there as everyone is "swimming" together.

When i was a courier in London i did meditation, and i decided to be a Buddhist courier, be courteous to all.

And i know that if one keeps this in mind, i never get grief from Pedestrians or motored vehicle drivers/riders.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Sometimes, when I am approaching a pelican crossing on my bike and the person who pressed the button has already crossed the road and gone, if there's no one else in sight I cycle through the red light. I know, bad me, put me in prison.

I do the same. I always slow down in case another person suddenly appears and wants to cross. If there is a car stopped at the pelican coming towards me I do feel a bit shameful though

Top Bottom