walking through red lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Ben Lovejoy said:
There have been conflicting rulings, I believe. There was a case back in the 70s where it was ruled that traffic did not have to accord precedence to a cyclist pushing a bike across a zebra crossing because the cyclist was not a pedestrian while the wheels were in contact with the road.

Ben

That is: WRONG.

The finding was the other way around.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
You appear to have missed the opening sentence in the text you quoted: There have been conflicting rulings, I believe.

The ruling I refer to was definitely made, and I believe there has also been a contradictory ruling.

Ben

Kirst

domtyler said:
You can do it but overall your journey will be quicker if you just stay on the road.

Not necessarily. There are crossroads near me which have a regular traffic light pattern - north/south traffic goes, east/west traffic goes, all traffic stops while pedestrians have the green man for all directions. If you're east/west traffic and you get to the lights just as they change to red for you, it's quicker to get off and walk across the junction at the green man and then set off again than it is to wait through the green man then the north/south traffic and then your green light.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Kirst said:
Not necessarily. There are crossroads near me which have a regular traffic light pattern - north/south traffic goes, east/west traffic goes, all traffic stops while pedestrians have the green man for all directions. If you're east/west traffic and you get to the lights just as they change to red for you, it's quicker to get off and walk across the junction at the green man and then set off again than it is to wait through the green man then the north/south traffic and then your green light.

Which cross roads did you having in mind Kirst??

Kirst

They're all a bit grumpy round here.

If I've come along Gilmore Place from the canal and am waiting at a red light to turn right as if going up to Bruntsfield, it's loads quicker to get off and walk across in front of the King's, than wait for the pedestrians to cross, then the north/south to go before the lights finally change in my favour. Same with South Clerk Street/East & West Preston Street, and South Clerk Street/Bernard Terrace/Hope Park Terrace. If you get to the lights just as they go red, get off and walk over.

Cab

Regardless of the legality of this... Has anyone else noticed that dismounting, pushing over a ped crossing or around a corner etc. before remounting really p****s off a lot of motorists? I mean, have you spotted that it really bothers them, to a quite irrational degree?

CopperBrompton

I can't say I have.

I could imagine it might if they'd just overtaken you after waiting a while on a narrow road, and are then going to have to wait for another suitable opportunity, but otherwise can't see why anyone would care in the slightest.

Ben

Cab

Ben Lovejoy said:
I can't say I have.

I could imagine it might if they'd just overtaken you after waiting a while on a narrow road, and are then going to have to wait for another suitable opportunity, but otherwise can't see why anyone would care in the slightest.

I didn't say that this response was rational :smile:

In my experience there is a small subset of motorists who find this behaviour unsporting, and are quite willing to make complete arses out of themselves over it.

CopperBrompton

What sort of things do they do? I'm intrigued!

Cab

Ben Lovejoy said:
What sort of things do they do? I'm intrigued!

I've occasionally dismounted and pushed the bike around a corner and back on to the road at one junction I often use, because the lights take so long to cycle round (and first its traffic coming the other way, then the main road way, then the pedestrians... too slow!). It is legal to dismount, push along the pavement a few feet, and remount on the road.

I've had the car driver in front of me yell abuse for that, I've had cars on the main road (who I am in no way inconveniencent, as I'm about to remount in a cycle lane!) honk their horns and flash lights at me.

Doesn't seem in the least bit rational to me.

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
User said:
Yes. The Road Traffic Act 1988 uses 'vehicle' to cover all modes of transport or conveyance that are driven or propelled on the road (but not prams!) Where sections relate solely to motor vehicles, then the phrases 'motor vehicle' or 'driven' will be used (except in one section where the heading - which is not part of definitive text - refers to 'drivers' when it means both driver and cyclists).

What are wheelchairs defined as? Or those electric OAP movers?

User said:
This means that someone who does not hold a driving license can have points added in the anticipation that (s)he will obtain a license in future. Points can also be added to a license held, even if the person wasn't driving a motor vehicle when the offence was committed.

This was introduced because many motoring offenders do not have a driving licence.

CopperBrompton

Creating the absurdity of banning someone from driving, catching them doing so while they have no licence, and ordering that they be banned again when the existing ban expires. If someone is going to drive while banned, then banning them again seems a trifle ... optimistic.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Ben Lovejoy said:
Creating the absurdity of banning someone from driving, catching them doing so while they have no licence, and ordering that they be banned again when the existing ban expires. If someone is going to drive while banned, then banning them again seems a trifle ... optimistic. f*cking pointless
Amended for accuracy.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Kirst said:
They're all a bit grumpy round here.

If I've come along Gilmore Place from the canal and am waiting at a red light to turn right as if going up to Bruntsfield, it's loads quicker to get off and walk across in front of the King's, than wait for the pedestrians to cross, then the north/south to go before the lights finally change in my favour. Same with South Clerk Street/East & West Preston Street, and South Clerk Street/Bernard Terrace/Hope Park Terrace. If you get to the lights just as they go red, get off and walk over.

I can see the advantage at the Kings lights, especially as it avoids the hassle with making a right turn there, with the other two I wouldn't personally bother but then that's just me...

Cab said:
Regardless of the legality of this... Has anyone else noticed that dismounting, pushing over a ped crossing or around a corner etc. before remounting really p****s off a lot of motorists? I mean, have you spotted that it really bothers them, to a quite irrational degree?

Aye, I've noticed that, so I sometimes do it if they have been messing me about on the approach to the junction. Especially where they have deliberately tried to stop me getting to the junction ahead of them. The great thing about it is you can often lose them in the traffic and there is nothing they can do about it... :biggrin:

Top Bottom