Walsall to Birmingham Commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mikeitup

Veteran
Hi,

I will be attending South Birmingham College in Digbeth and was thinking of biking it.
Any suggestions for the best routes etc. I haven't been to Brum for ages and have no idea what the road situation is like these days. Was a bit put off from doing it when a cyclist got crushed to death by a bus in December last year though :becool:

trickletreat

Veteran
Could you stay off road and use the canals, otherwise its straight down the A34.

jimboalee

From the A34 'twin mini islands' at the Hotel.

Up and up to the M6 overpass. Through the Scott Arms lights. Straight down past the Alex Stadium and The Tennis Courts.

Give it some jip now cus you move over into the RH lane and take the filter lane to go under the Crown and Cushion. Then it's a long slog up the Birchfield road flyover past the former Saddam Hussain Mosque. Then a fast down hill and under the island at Victoria Rd the up and down again to the Barton Arms.
Past the new Postal sorting centre and across New John St Middleway.
There's a bus lane all the way along Newtown Row which is lights controlled at the canal bridge.

Now you can either go under Lancaster circus with the traffic or chance your arm and go round the island past the Fire Station. There are signs which warn motorists of cyclists, but they come onto that island with such a short glance, I go through the underpass.

Along past Aston Uni halls of residence and left curve down to the new Matthew Boulton Tech. Straight across and under Moor Street Station.
Sharp left into Digbeth High St and down past the Police Station.

Join the lunatics through the lollipops to the Uni.

OP
OP
mikeitup

mikeitup

Veteran
jimboalee said:
From the A34 'twin mini islands' at the Hotel.

Up and up to the M6 overpass. Through the Scott Arms lights. Straight down past the Alex Stadium and The Tennis Courts.

Give it some jip now cus you move over into the RH lane and take the filter lane to go under the Crown and Cushion. Then it's a long slog up the Birchfield road flyover past the former Saddam Hussain Mosque. Then a fast down hill and under the island at Victoria Rd the up and down again to the Barton Arms.
Past the new Postal sorting centre and across New John St Middleway.
There's a bus lane all the way along Newtown Row which is lights controlled at the canal bridge.

Now you can either go under Lancaster circus with the traffic or chance your arm and go round the island past the Fire Station. There are signs which warn motorists of cyclists, but they come onto that island with such a short glance, I go through the underpass.

Along past Aston Uni halls of residence and left curve down to the new Matthew Boulton Tech. Straight across and under Moor Street Station.
Sharp left into Digbeth High St and down past the Police Station.

Join the lunatics through the lollipops to the Uni.

thanks for that. Just what I need!

What's the best way out of Brum? :smile:

jimboalee

BTW.

Watch out for the pothole right on the crest of the Birchfield Road as the flyover passes the Mosque. ( toward city direction ).

Or do you take the lower road through the traffic lights? The namby-pamby route.

Scratch

Über Member
jimboalee said:
BTW.

Watch out for the pothole right on the crest of the Birchfield Road as the flyover passes the Mosque. ( toward city direction ).

Or do you take the lower road through the traffic lights? The namby-pamby route.

I cycle in along there and always take the namby-pabmy route, probably for the same reason I don't go round the spaghetti junction island, I'm not afraid to admit those overpasses are scary, unless the traffic is gridlocked!

I think its a psychological thing after a coworker told me she used the horn on and buzzed a cyclist using the overpass. I told her I'd have smashed her wing mirror off if she tried that on me (I wouldn't really, I might manage and oi! and a dirty stare :smile:), but I still don't chance it.

jimboalee

Scratch said:
I cycle in along there and always take the namby-pabmy route, probably for the same reason I don't go round the spaghetti junction island, I'm not afraid to admit those overpasses are scary, unless the traffic is gridlocked!

I think its a psychological thing after a coworker told me she used the horn on and buzzed a cyclist using the overpass. I told her I'd have smashed her wing mirror off if she tried that on me (I wouldn't really, I might manage and oi! and a dirty stare :biggrin:), but I still don't chance it.

I worked at Lucas, Gt King Street for many years and a favourite 'after work' jolly was to go up Barr Beacon.
I would join the Birchfield Road at the Barton Arms, climb up and then under the Victoria Road Island. Then it would be 'full steam ahead' straight up to the Scott Arms using the overpasses and underpass under the Crown and Cushion.

I never got any abuse off motorists, even in the afternoon rush hour.

The reasons, I think, why I didn't get aggro' off motorists are,,

1/ I didn't look like a scumbag on a stolen bike toddling along.
2/ I didn't look like an 'all the gear, no idea' idiot getting in the way.

3/ I looked like a confident cyclist who knew what he was doing.

I also used Salford Circus ( spag J ) on my usual short route. The trick here is to approach the junc' standing up in a highish gear, looking around all the time; and giving a lot of hand signalling, then 'point and shoot' into the traffic.

This is where 'Raw Power' plays its part. Show the motorists you mean business and they'll give respect.

ps As soon as you wear a bright flouro coat with reflective panels, it says "I'm not confident".

OP
OP
mikeitup

mikeitup

Veteran
jimboalee said:
BTW.

I did see that actually and as I was knackered at that stage I looked down at the namby pamby route and considered it for next week. :smile:

Scratch

Über Member
jimboalee said:
I worked at Lucas, Gt King Street for many years and a favourite 'after work' jolly was to go up Barr Beacon.
I would join the Birchfield Road at the Barton Arms, climb up and then under the Victoria Road Island. Then it would be 'full steam ahead' straight up to the Scott Arms using the overpasses and underpass under the Crown and Cushion.

I never got any abuse off motorists, even in the afternoon rush hour.

The reasons, I think, why I didn't get aggro' off motorists are,,

1/ I didn't look like a scumbag on a stolen bike toddling along.
2/ I didn't look like an 'all the gear, no idea' idiot getting in the way.

3/ I looked like a confident cyclist who knew what he was doing.

I also used Salford Circus ( spag J ) on my usual short route. The trick here is to approach the junc' standing up in a highish gear, looking around all the time; and giving a lot of hand signalling, then 'point and shoot' into the traffic.

This is where 'Raw Power' plays its part. Show the motorists you mean business and they'll give respect.

ps As soon as you wear a bright flouro coat with reflective panels, it says "I'm not confident".

It's not the people on the island that bother me its the people leaving the M6 who have just been doing 70mph and don't even look, I never have any trouble from people already on the island but having been knocked off my bike by a SMIDSY I don't take the risk anymore. I'm sure its safe really its just not worth the stress to me eyeing up cars coming down the slip road wondering if they're going to stop.

Top Bottom