want a bike, can I ask for discount in shops?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ibbledibble

Hello, completely new, hope you don't mind me asking a question already!

I want to buy a new bike, I basically only want it for getting fit, cycling to the shops with my children, and maybe a little extra, like throwing it in the back of the car for a trip somewhere over easy treks, somewhere.

Is this the right time to be buying a bicycle? Can I ask for a discount? What sort of discount can I cheekily get away with on average?(OH been made redundant so want quality, and cheap as chips!)

Do bicycle shops expect to be bartered down?

Thanks in advance all.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Welcome to the fray ibbledibble. I would say a big big yes to haggling. Never pay the recommended retail price for anything these days. Whatever bike you want, someone will do a cheaper deal than the first shop you visit. As long as you are polite and affable, you will get a good deal of at least 10%, and more if you persist.

Get stuck in!

OP
OP
I

ibbledibble

thank you, not comfortable with bartering, but I'll have a go. Is it an advantage to pay by cash, or is that not the done thing these days?!!!

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
I think at the present time cash, cheque, credit card or pawning the dog will do nicely sir. Although bike shops seem to be doing rather better than many other sectors, sales are everything. The secret is is not to be rushed into a purchase. Do your homework and compare prices. Do not be afraid to play off one dealer with another.

threefingerjoe

Über Member
As I understand it...and I may be wrong...there really isn't much markup on bikes. Most of the profit in a bikeshop is made on accessories. SOOO...if you're having your LBS set up a new bike, with lights, fenders, pedals, rack, etc...you may do some good haggling on the total package, or, they often offer discounts on accessories to customers who bought a bike from them for a year or two.

Randochap

Senior hunter
Why not? Be as brazen as you like, but keep in mind that mark up on bikes is not huge.

A decent LBS will allow you to talk them into throwing in some accessories though -- mudguards, a modest light, or a rack.

A year's free adjustments should be a given.

OP
OP
I

ibbledibble

thank very much, all good points.

snakehips

My local bike shops have plenty of discounted bikes. People in shops like Evans probably don't have the authority to take less that the asking price , but an independent shop probably does.
I know a guy who got a substantal discount two years ago before the present 'troubles' , by going to a shop several times and not quite committing himself.

snakehips.jpg

Snakehips Bikes

OP
OP
I

ibbledibble

I was most probably going to look at 2008 models. Is it a bit like cars where the new 2009 models are in, or just about to come in, and they want shot of the 2008 types?

If so, same model, different years, what percentage cheaper should the 2008 model be compared to the 2009? (as I say, if that is how it works?!)

killiekosmos

Veteran
In bought a touring bike from my LBS. I knew what I wanted and searched for web prices. Asked LBS for a price, said it was way dearer than on-line and they took 10% off and gave me the pitch that it would be properly set up, would get a 6 week check etc. Although stll a bit dearer than on-line, they got the business.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Don't ask for a percentage... decide on the bike you want in the shop. Go away and find best on-line deal. Print it off and back to the shop with it.
Check component spec is exactly the same. Then ask if they will match it. If not, they may give you accessories towards the difference? if still not close you have an easy choice...

Randochap

Senior hunter
Real world shops hate being leveraged by online prices!

Also, if you "tire kick" repeatedly, rather than being offered a discount when you walk in for the umpteenth time, you're likely to get ignored.

My approach to people who walk in with a price printed from the internet has been to explain that we could match that price, but it will be bare-bones bike ... without service and not set up. If they want a properly built bike with a ("free") year's shop service package, it's the price that's on the bike.

If they want to deal with a distant non-entity to save a few bob then that's their chance to take.

Top Bottom