Want to cycle more but city is evil

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jergen99

I need to cycle a lot and improve my health. I've recently quit smoking as well, and I was planning to get out on my bike, but the trouble is that it's nightmarish cycling along the streets of London as fast cars, trucks and all manner of scarily speedy boxes of steel hurtle past. My cycle spends so much time indoors and I just walk. The park/common is just a giant dog-turd collection heap, also strangely full of children and joggers, and the place gives me the heeby jeebies.

I suppose I could walk my bike through fast areas and go somewhere a little less central and nearer to the wide open suburbs and empty wide roads. Maybe it's worth a try. But sooner or later you are just too close to a big truck for your liking and you wonder if it's really "good for your health". Maybe I'll get an exercise bike.

Where in London are you? There are many active London Cycling Campaign chapters who organise rides, meets, explore out of the way areas, know about decent routes and are generally a good bunch. Have a look at their website for more info

jimboalee

Better still. Get to High Wycombe, cycle to Princes Risborough, Wallingford, Henley on Thames and back to High Wycombe.

Return on Train.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I love city cycling, I reckon it's the best, where the bicycle is King. But you have to really ride with confidence. If you've not read 'Cyclecraft' by Franklin, you should, you'll gain more confidence on the road. Knowing about good road positioning helps remove a lot of the danger. Getting a good bike speed can also be positive as the differential twixt car and bike narrows. Good acceleration and prepardness from junctions will further improve things.

Where do you ride? Maybe there are some bettr roads that others can recommend?
I used to "cycle" the Northern-line from Morden to Elephant, pretty busy but sooo much fun. I no longer live in London, but when visiting the Rellies still ride it into town just for fun. It's my fave route!

Top Bottom