SORTED: your old, dead tubes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
For a project. I used to regularly find them in hedgerows but not for a while now.

Happy to pay postage. Punctures /valve damage no problem.

As many as you can send the better! I will patch and offer any excess back to the community at CC on a "pay it forward" basis.

For a project. I used to regularly find them in hedgerows but not for a while now.

Happy to pay postage. Punctures /valve damage no problem.

As many as you can send the better! I will patch and offer any excess back to the community at CC on a "pay it forward" basis.

I've got about 100 here that I'm about to throw out, but alas postage from Germany may be excessive. Your LBS may help; in my experience shops tend to replace tubes for puncture repairs rather than patch.

What's the project?

Ajax Bay

Guru
I do think your various local LBSs are your best source (assumes you have an LBS, we have 4 for a 30,000 town). I recently went down and scrounged a couple (not to repair, for a non-cycling related purpose).
Are you targetting CycleChat members who don't patch their tubes? All the tubes I have (heading for the tip when I eventually remember) are in my judgement, beyond (normally further) repair. You can have them (less than 2kg weight) but . . . .

OP
OP
C

chris667

Guru
What's the project?

Green roof bike shed. You need to have a watertight membrane, and although my first choice would be EDPM butyl rubber is used sometimes. You can make a very nice, completely watertight mat from old innertubes.

Of course, I have worked out the roof is going to weigh 550kg when it's rained. But it's all made from recycled materials. The total budget so far is two bags of postcrete!

classic33

Leg End Member
I'll second the bike shops for them.

I used to get two-three stone a pick-up every week. Took at least ten stone of them to York. Currently sitting on over 16 stone left from my attempt at an innertube museum.
Last one got pinched, from outside the house.

tom73

Guru
I've got about 100 here that I'm about to throw out, but alas postage from Germany may be excessive. Your LBS may help; in my experience shops tend to replace tubes for puncture repairs rather than patch.

What's the project?

Have you had a look for a local ethical project like cycle for good.
That use them to provide income for communities in developing counties ?
Or maybe find a local community project that you could team up with to do the same as a source of income for your project?

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I have found a box so good to go

IMG_20230212_083847932.jpg

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Not all LBS replace them. Some years ago a friend of mine bought two new mountain bikes from a shop in Bolton. They were badged with the shop name so I think built up using new parts
He sold one to me and since I did not like the tyres took them off for replacement and found multiple patches on the tubes. He denied ever having a puncture so the shop had used old tubes .
The shop no longer exists as I looked it up on line.

Top Bottom