War

Discussion in 'News and Current Affairs' started by Diogenes, 14 Jun 2019.

1. Diogenes

Diogenes Opinions, schminions

Are we seeing the first moves in a new Middle Eastern war? Iran and Saudi Arabia have been fighting each other through proxies for years but now we're seeing Iranian-backed attacks on Saudi soil, retaliatory attacks on Iranian gas rigs and (possibly) attacks on tankers by Iran in response. The US have moved a carrier group into the area.

If the long expected conflict between the US and Iran does start, can Britain stay out? We have a number of minesweepers there keeping the Strait of Hormuz clear and alliances with the Gulf States.

tribanjules likes this.
  2. marinyork

marinyork Resting in suspended Animation

The war in Yemen hasn't finished and that is taking up a lot of resources by both countries.

Milzy, Diogenes and Bobby Mhor like this.
  3. Bobby Mhor

Bobby Mhor Wasn't born to follow

It's the every presidential term pay-off to the US (and UK) Defence Industries...

Andy in Germany likes this.
  4. Cycleops

Cycleops Guru

As you say tensions have been ramping up for some time now but the recent attacks on shipping have raised the bar. It might be caused by extreme factions in Iran who are pushing for a war but I don't think that is supported by the leadership. I don't think the Americans want it either who would prevail in any conflict as it will be very costly.
    Don't forget Israel in all this who have said they will not tolerate an Iran with nuclear weapons.
    Britain can and should keep out of it but that might be easier said than done, we can only hope common sense prevails.

Last edited: 14 Jun 2019
    Illaveago, Milzy and raleighnut like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Diogenes

Diogenes Opinions, schminions

Could be a quite convenient distraction to get Brexit out of the way and then go into a General Election as a war leader.

6. Crackle

Crackle Squatter

Despite posturing I don't think any of them want a war. America doesn't want it, Iran doesn't want it and neither does anyone else, the only way it'll come about is if someone misjudges things. And, I've got flights booked with Singapore and Qatar airlines so I don't want it either!

MichaelW2 and Diogenes like this.
  7. MichaelW2

MichaelW2 Veteran

No one planned the first world war but everyone responded to everyone elses response.
    Accidental escalation is a serious risk, unless you have god on your side.

gbb, Illaveago, Dayvo and 2 others like this.
  8. Heckler

Heckler Well-Known Member

Assuming of course the identified state actors were actually responsible, have the Iranians admitted responsibility?

9. Cycleops

Cycleops Guru

This is pretty difficult to refute. Supposedly Iranian boat removing an unexploded mine from one of the tankers.

View: https://youtu.be/7Gz08OQUnms

Iran wil deny, deny, deny.

10. MichaelW2

MichaelW2 Veteran

The video could be real or fake. Iran's denial could be real or fake.
    Putin's dream of universal distrust has been made reality.

11. meta lon

meta lon Guru

Its all me me me with you :laugh:

Im more concerned about the cost of derv..

Illaveago and Crackle like this.
  12. gavroche

gavroche Getting old but not past it

Why is it that pollution and save the planet doesn't come into consideration when there is a war?

13. Mugshot

Mugshot Cracking a solo.

I'm not sure that those that are at the top when it comes to wars give much consideration to pollution and climate change at the best of times.

14. Profpointy

Profpointy Guru

America have previous for this sort of thing: gulf of Tonkin incident used to justify the Vietnam War.

American hawks are clamouring for attacking Iran now

15. meta lon

meta lon Guru

Good point.

I'd say its down to a species that has no clue.
    And cant help itself.
    And oil of course

dave r, Duffy and gavroche like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice