War

Discussion in 'News and Current Affairs' started by Diogenes, 14 Jun 2019.

1. Crackle

Crackle Squatter

This is not directly related to the OP but it's the Middle East so everything is related, especially when it comes to the proxy war in Yemen

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...out-us-the-uks-true-role-in-yemens-deadly-war

Britain's involvement is spelt out in some detail and is far more extensive than I naively thought. Also explained and something I had not realized, is that when the US were looking to prop up Saudi Arabia with weapons, thay had to find way to do it which wasn't going to piss off Israel who objected to Saudi being given access to the same level of weaponry, so they got around this by getting the UK to supply the arms and hence we have this historical arms supply relationship with Saudi Arabia who have ensured it continues by investing heavily in our economy to such an extent, that if they stopped, we'd feel it big time. it's a filthy, filthy relationship.

Milzy, theclaud, C R and 1 other person like this.
  2. Hicky

Hicky Veteran

Money talks, oil matters. Trumps a prick and so are many of the hawks who themselves have no concept of conflict apart from perceiving themselves as warriors in suits. Utter utter twats.
    Lives could be spent(however I doubt it based against the topic in this thread) and have previously for questionable reasons.
    Excuse the language but I feel strongly about this.

randynewmanscat and Milzy like this.
  3. Beebo

Beebo Firm and Fruity

Trump has pulled out of the Iran deal but is now annoyed that Iran are no longer sticking to the agreement that he has already broken.

Is this a good reason to start a war?

C R likes this.
  4. Rusty Nails

Rusty Nails We remember

There may have been a few necessary reasons to start a war in the past. There are no good reasons.

5. Cycleops

Cycleops Guru

Many of you are forgetting that there are hawks in Iran too, the Revolutionary Guard would love to go head to head with the US without much thought for the consequences.

6. Dirk

Dirk If 6 Was 9

And not forgetting the American Evangelical Christian right wing who will do anything to bring about conflict in the Middle East in order to fulfill biblical prophesies of Armageddon and the End Times.
    These are the people behind Trump.
    Scary, ain't it?

Edwardoka, Milzy, dave r and 2 others like this.
  7. Hicky

Hicky Veteran

I agree and would add to that "consequences for the troops".

The bunch of farktards.

Milzy and Cycleops like this.
  8. Cycleops

Cycleops Guru

I'm not sure these nutters have too much actual leverage.
    What is more scary is the on going tension between Israel and Iran.
    “We’re ready for the decisive war that will bring about Israel’s disappearance from the earth. Our young airmen are prepared for the day when Israel will be destroyed,” Brig. Gen. Aziz Nasirzadeh said, according to an Iranian news site.
    Whether this is just sable rattling or a credible threat we don't know.

9. Dirk

Dirk If 6 Was 9

Trump is using the right wing Evangelical Christian faction in America to bolster his support. This doesn't come at zero cost. He has had to give them some major concessions - witness the make up of the Supreme Court and recent decisions on the abortion laws in some states. They are major players in the American political system and cannot be ignored by any side, least of all the Republicans.
    This religious faction believe in the End Times and the Rapture amongst other radical ideas. They support Israel because they are openly hoping to provoke hostilities in that region to bring about their perceived biblical prophesies. They care not one jot about world peace so long as they can pursue their ideology.
    Religion poisons everything.

Milzy, dave r, C R and 1 other person like this.
  10. Cycleops

Cycleops Guru

I'd certainly agree with that.

Milzy, dave r, meta lon and 1 other person like this.
  11. OP
    OP
    Diogenes

Diogenes Opinions, schminions

12. OP
    OP
    Diogenes

Diogenes Opinions, schminions

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-48714414

Not exactly the yee-haw response most would have predicted.

Cycleops and dave r like this.
  13. LarryDuff

LarryDuff Veteran

Trump has been less warlike than Obama, Clinton or Bush.

14. randynewmanscat

randynewmanscat Senior Member

I have a fairly strong dislike of conspiracy theories and theorists and enjoy ridiculing them on the net but I do wonder with this one. The ship was in international waters and not a million miles from the coast of Saudi Arabia. The psychotic Bin Salman has form for stirring the pot vis Iran. It seems a breathtaking move to put a hole in a tanker with Japanese interests while the leader of that country is actually being hosted and you want to court sympathy to counter strong US sanctions. A boats a boat, Saudi Arabia may have bought some just like the one in the US video and suitable livery and uniforms for special service personnel.
    I have not a clue but it does seem a bizarre act, why bother inviting Abe in the first place if you are going to embarrass and insult him?

15. randynewmanscat

randynewmanscat Senior Member

Adam Curtis "Bitter Lake" has a section describing the birth of the Saudi Anglo relationship. It is a complex story and many of the facts are not in the public domain. It is supposed to be very difficult from now to obtain export licenses to Saudi Arabia due to the human rights abuses in Yemen but I will say that is bollox, in a fork tongued world what is described as "new" might be "spares" or "resupply". BAE systems have an extremely powerful lobby in the UK government.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice