Warmshowers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Lone Rider

For months now leaving messages and emails, yet nobody seems to reply, does anyone else have this problem?
Are there others sites like this for accommodation?

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
To WS themselves? Or to hosts?

Never had a problem personally. I host too and try my best to reply the same day as I know what it’s like planning a route. I hope it works out.

Couch Surfing?

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I am a Warmshowers host. I have made my profile as specific as I can. It says when we are available and the things we can offer. As time has gone by I have made it more and more specific.

The reason is because I think most people on that site look at a map, find a host and send a message and ask to stay. It appears they do not bother reading the hosts profile and what they have to offer. I have lost count of the number of people who have asked to stay with us and who obviously have not read our profile.

Read the host profile carefully and refer to it when asking to stay. I think its too early to ask about June bookings. I have no idea what I will be doing in June. I would like potential guests to get in touch a couple of weeks before their arrival and then touch base a week before they were to arrive, just to make sure.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I am a Warmshowers host. I have made my profile as specific as I can. It says when we are available and the things we can offer. As time has gone by I have made it more and more specific.

The reason is because I think most people on that site look at a map, find a host and send a message and ask to stay. It appears they do not bother reading the hosts profile and what they have to offer. I have lost count of the number of people who have asked to stay with us and who obviously have not read our profile.

Read the host profile carefully and refer to it when asking to stay. I think its too early to ask about June bookings. I have no idea what I will be doing in June. I would like potential guests to get in touch a couple of weeks before their arrival and then touch base a week before they were to arrive, just to make sure.

I have had some super early, super organised bookings which I have been able to accommodate. But I had a plan B for them if I wasn’t going to be there.

I started out having a pretty laid back approach but like you I had to make some really clear boundaries. I had a group of 3 students from France who wanted to eat with me and my daughters so I made a roast for about 19:00. They arrived after 21:30 because they stayed drinking coffee in an internet café two hours away. Then instead of sleeping in their tents on the lawn, they got drunk, slept on the lounge floor so we couldn’t access half the house because they slept until nearly midday. THEN had a pop at me when I came in to get my car keys so I could take my daughter to a sports event.

I had another German student who (I only found out later) was without accommodation for the summer break, so was just dossing around the West Country until term stated again. He didn’t even have a bike but had some BS story how it was broken in Bristol and could I collect it and help fix it. He kept changing his dates and how long he needed to stay and then he didn’t pitch up. When I rung him to find out what the deal was, he was still in Dorset or somewhere and could I pick him up in 2 days time! Doesn’t work if you have a family. I reported him to Warmshowers.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Just to the balance the books.

We had an 17 year old German lad pedalling from Hamburg to Northern Denmark. We were his first WS hosts and he was our first visitor. He kept in touch as he got closer. We fed him and serviced his bike together. We had a really good night chatting and telling stories. We made him lunch for his forward journey and rode with him for a while. It was a really good experience.

A couple of weeks later we got an e mail from his mum to thank us for looking after him so well and giving him such a good review on WS. We have an open invitation to visit Hamburg at any time ^_^

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Just to the balance the books.

We had an 17 year old German lad pedalling from Hamburg to Northern Denmark. We were his first WS hosts and he was our first visitor. He kept in touch as he got closer. We fed him and serviced his bike together. We had a really good night chatting and telling stories. We made him lunch for his forward journey and rode with him for a while. It was a really good experience.

A couple of weeks later we got an e mail from his mum to thank us for looking after him so well and giving him such a good review on WS. We have an open invitation to visit Hamburg at any time ^_^

Yes. Indeed most guests are wonderful. I even went on a four day mini tour with one guest. And they ended up staying for 8 days afterwards.

OP
OP
The Lone Rider

The Lone Rider

Sorry must be me being stupid and cant read properly! :banghead:

woodbutcher

Veteran
Sounds like Lewis Carrol .....
“Reeling and Writhing of course, to begin with,' the Mock Turtle replied, 'and the different branches of arithmetic-ambition, distraction, uglification, and derision.” ^_^

Top Bottom