Warning For SRAM Power Link Users

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Pig

Forgive me if this has been posted before and is a well know issue, it's a head's up to SRAM chain users about the quick release link.

Yesterday, going along a rocky track on the top of the Old Kilpatrick hills I heard a clatter and looked down to see my chain lying on the ground behind me! At first I thought it had snapped but collecting the chain I realised that the link had came undone.

The SRAM power links, the quick release links, are pretty tight when they're new. In fact you need to use a pair of pliers squeeze the ends of the link together. Over time the link wears and eventually they're very loose. This isn't a problem most of the time as the chain tension keeps the link together.

What happened yesterday though was that the bouncing around on the rough track managed to shake the chain in just the right way to unclip the link and bingo, the chain's off!

In my many years of using these links this is the first time this has happened, but if it can happen to me it can happen to you. If you change your chain/link regularly it shouldn't be an issue but if it gets worn enough to be loose then you could find yourself chainless too. I'm just glad it happened on the flat and it didn't fall off as I was going down the hill, could've been a long walk back up to fetch my chain.

And carrying a spare link is a good idea too ;0)

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Well I think you need to put such a warning into perspective:

1. I have never, ever needed a pair of pliers to open the quick link however new. (Are you sure this does them any good? Could this be the cause of your problems?)

2. Even when well worn, I have never known one come undone and I should think there are about twenty users of them in our mtb club, some of whom hardly know the meaning of the phrase 'bike maintenance'.

Interestingly, I have never had a chain failure of any sort since I have been using them, where as when I used to 'split' the chain and reuse a regular link, or use a new Shimano pin, breakages were fairly common.

Carrying a spare quick link is certainly prudent (as it's both cheap and feather light) but I would say there isn't a more reliable way to join a chain and people shouldn't shy away from a such great bit of kit.

OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

When the links are new I can't get them undone by hand. I put pliers diagonally across the link to squeeze it together and pop it open. How do you get them open?

This is the first time I've had the link come undone and I've been using them for years. It's probably a very rare occurrence but for the price of a new link why chance it?

Totally agree about the excellence of this SRAM device, I'd recommend them to anyone. I'd never got back to a chain tool now, although I still carry one and a few links just in case. I'm sticking to SRAM chains and power links but in future I'll be replacing the link when it gets loose.

OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

Tim Bennet. said:
...some of whom hardly know the meaning of the phrase 'bike maintenance'.

Actually, that's a good point. Thick oily gunk on the outside of the chain possibly helps to hold the link closed as the gunk will get into the space on the link that the pin moves into to open the link. My chain had just been removed, cleaned and was spotless with minimal oil on it.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
SRAM powerlinks do NOT come undone easily and have never to my knowledge come undone when riding.

I suspect your failure is due to using pliers to force the powerlink to open and breaking the damn thing so it had very little chance of working properly ever again.

kyuss

Veteran
Powerlinks are a pain to open. The trick is to squeeze the side plates in the middle of the link with your fingers as you push the two ends towards the centre. Takes a bit of practice, and it's still stiff, but it works. Sounds like you've busted your link using pliers, no doubt bending the side plates which is why it's failed.

barq

I've seen it happen a couple of times at Coed y Brenin. I think in at least one of these instances the rider was in a small-small gear ratio and the chain was very slack.

OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

kyuss said:
Sounds like you've busted your link using pliers, no doubt bending the side plates which is why it's failed.

Nope. I'm not a ham-fisted (trottered ;0) idiot. Without going into boring details you'll just have to accept that I know what I'm doing. There is nothing wrong with using pliers to apply more preasure than you can apply comfortable with your fingers, that's what they're for!

I've seen it happen a couple of times at Coed y Brenin

Thank you. Or maybe those people used pliers too? ;0) They work loose, they wear, it's not complicated. When they wear enough that no preasure is required to open them there is a chance that the chain can shake in just the right way to pop them open. That's it. If you don't beleive me that's up to you, but it can happen.

U

User482

Well, I've used SRAM chains on my MTBs for years and this has never happened to me, nor has it ever happened to anyone else I know. So I would suggest that you've been unlucky.

The only SRAM chain I've ever broken was on my road bike - I'd rejoined the chain without using a powerlink (d'oh), with predictable results...

OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

User482 said:
So I would suggest that you've been unlucky.

I think so. I've used these links for maybe seven years without trouble. Point is that if it happened to me it can happen to anyone. Worth buying a new link if it gets loose, that's all I'm saying.

OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

I don't get it. Why would I be accused of trolling? I'm not saying that you shouldn't use SRAM links, I think they're great. I'm just reporting two facts. Firstly that my link was worn and two, that it came undone on its own riding over very rough ground.

These facts have got nothing to do with being a cycling expert or not, it's just a report of something that happened. Anyone reading this can do what they want with that information, it doesn't really make much difference to me.

mondobongo

Über Member
I dont see how the powerlink could wear and then come loose, it has tension holding it in place at either end. Had no problems in 4 years of using them nor do I know anyone else who has had a problem.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
You posted it as a warning!! ie look out if you use Sram links, they fall to bits. Which just isn't true. They are very safe and have been very safe for years.

personally i think they are rubbish as they are impossible to undo, and would use KMC links as they are a lot better, but i would reckon Sram links are almost impossible to come undone on the bike whilst riding.

OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

it has tension holding it in place at either end

Normally. Imagine you're riding over a rocky track at reasonable speed in a middle-ish gear with your chain flapping up and down, usually rattling against the frame. When the rear dérailleur is bouncing up and the chain is flying around like that there are moments when that part of the chain is 'not' in tension.

Now imagine that your power link is maybe in the middle of that lower section of chain and the link is very worn, so that it requires no pressure to open it. However unlikely it might be, it is possible that the chain can move in just the right way to allow the link to come undone. I know for a fact this can happen as it happened to me two days ago!

Had no problems in 4 years of using them

This is the first time it's happened to me in about seven! I'm not saying that if you use a loose SRAM link this will happen, I'm not even saying that it is likely, all I'm saying is that it can.

Put it this way. After I'd figured out why my chain was lying on the ground and nailed it back to the bike I set off down a fairly long and very bumpy descent to the bottom of the Old Kilpatrick hills. I didn't go down it as fast as I normally would and I kept stealing glances at my chain because I was paranoid about it coming off again. Had it came off as I was going down the hill it could've been a nightmare! You would have to walk all the way back up and hope you found the thing or you'd be snookered.

All I'm saying is that if your link is loose it's worth spending a few pounds for a new one.

personally I think they are rubbish as they are impossible to undo

Only when they're fairly new. They get progressively looser over time and eventually just slide open.

I would reckon Sram links are almost impossible to come undone on the bike whilst riding.

Change 'almost impossible' to 'highly unlikely' and I would agree with you! Like I say, a couple of quid renders it 'impossible' once more.

Top Bottom