Was I expecting too much from my £350 bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
Forgive my ignorance - what sort of bottom bracket.

For in some things cheaper (NOT cheap as in rock bottom poor) cycling componentry is often better unless you are a weight weenie training for the TdF.

If that was to me I have no idea of brand of it, the lbs put it in. It wasn't a fancy dan thru bb like the Praxis but rather two pieces either side put in. But it was dirt cheap, weighed less than the Praxis and still hasn't broke. Yet.

OP
OP
nmfeb70

nmfeb70

Hi everyone, an update for those of you still interested in this thread.
Soon after having a replacement BB, the original noise persisted. I took it to a different bike dealer and they discovered the following;

Completely worn chain,
Completely worn freewheel,
Worn pedal causing side to side play,
Replacement BB had not been greased (although in perfect working order).

The replacement & labour cost was £93 and the bike now rides perfect.They also gave me some invaluable tips about how to keep a bike healthy.

Thanks again for the interest & replies to my problem. I've learned a lot.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Hi everyone, an update for those of you still interested in this thread.
Soon after having a replacement BB, the original noise persisted. I took it to a different bike dealer and they discovered the following;

Completely worn chain,
Completely worn freewheel,
Worn pedal causing side to side play,
Replacement BB had not been greased (although in perfect working order).

The replacement & labour cost was £93 and the bike now rides perfect.They also gave me some invaluable tips about how to keep a bike healthy.

Thanks again for the interest & replies to my problem. I've learned a lot.

All's well that ends well. :thumbsup:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
All's well that ends well. :thumbsup:

Not sure I'd regard having to replace all those bits so soon on a bike that has done under 1,000 miles from new as "all ending well".
I've done more miles than that on some of my secondhand machines that may have had multiple previous owners and done a lot of miles, yet have not needed either new freewheels or BB's.
Either the OEM component quality is very poor or the LBS has adopted a scattergun approach by randomly replacing things until they chanced upon the actual fault by sheer luck!
Doesn't inspire confidence in LBS repairs and just reinforces my belief in doing DIY maintenance.

12boy

Guru
The only cartridge BB I've had fail was the original one on my Brompton. On the other hand I've gone thousands of miles on the Shimanomreplacement and with other bikes. No service, greased when inserted and slicker than snot after may years. I do avoid the left hand side being plastic though... had several crack before full insertion, even greased.

Top Bottom