Was my broken chain too long or just incorrect advice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dyno

Hi,
Had a nightmare journey last night with my front refector falling off, my chain braking, then discovering I had a puncture as well, while trying to fix my chain in the dark at 22:00.

I have a Boardman MTB\HT I bought 4 weeks ago and gave up with Halfords not assembling it correctly or able to get the gears to change up or the brakes to work. Anyhow last night the chain broke so I had to remove the link to get me home. I took it into Halfords this lunchtime regarding the chain braking and they reported that maybe one of the links was manufactured incorrectly (Im not ruling this out) but they reported that the chain would have been too long on this bike origionally, so removing the link made it the correct length now, so.... didn't have to do anything but send me on my way without replacing or fixing a new link to the chain. (They did run the gears up and down once)
My question is why would Boardman provide a new bike that had an incorrect length chain or is what Halfords reported incorrect or is there a margin of acceptable length on chains which means removing a link would not make a difference.
If anyone with more bike experience could answer i'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Jeez, another vote for helfrauds expertise and customer care standards! If I had been having so much trouble with a new product and they couldn't provide an adequate standard of back-up to sort it out I would be demanding a refund or presenting them with a large bill for a REAL bike shop to sort out the mess.

frank9755

Cyclist
Do you know how to check the length of the chain?

If not then do this:
- take it off completely
- wrap it round the largest chainring and largest sprocket - not through the rear mech
- it should meet and have one link overlap.

festival

Über Member
Hi,
Had a nightmare journey last night with my front refector falling off, my chain braking, then discovering I had a puncture as well, while trying to fix my chain in the dark at 22:00.

I have a Boardman MTB\HT I bought 4 weeks ago and gave up with Halfords not assembling it correctly or able to get the gears to change up or the brakes to work. Anyhow last night the chain broke so I had to remove the link to get me home. I took it into Halfords this lunchtime regarding the chain braking and they reported that maybe one of the links was manufactured incorrectly (I'm not ruling this out) but they reported that the chain would have been too long on this bike originally, so removing the link made it the correct length now, so.... didn't have to do anything but send me on my way without replacing or fixing a new link to the chain. (They did run the gears up and down once)
My question is why would Boardman provide a new bike that had an incorrect length chain or is what Halfords reported incorrect or is there a margin of acceptable length on chains which means removing a link would not make a difference.
If anyone with more bike experience could answer i'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

I spent sometime at Halfords working on trying to improve cycle staff training etc before giving up due to the lack of support from higher management, but that's another story.
Whatever people say about the boardmans, good or bad it would be extremely rare to see the chain fitted with too many links or damaged out of the box.
What is more likely is, either poor set up which causes chain damage when used in normal conditions or damage caused by you due to riding conditions & riding style. I am sure the latter is not the case so its down to Halfrauds.
Running the chain short is OK as a temporary measure but when you ride hard its a certain length for a reason, I suggest you have been a victim of bullshit.

As the bike is only 4 weeks old you are in a position of strength as they cant throw the "wear & tear issue at you.
You deserve a new chain (make sure its an upgrade for your trouble) and an explanation for the poor service so far.
You are only likely to get it from the man in charge & that means the store manager (not a duty manager) have a think about your approach before you go in, make it clear to him/her you are very unhappy & disappointed by the whole experience & what are they going to do about restoring your faith, therefore ensuring you don't have to take the matter to H.O. If you put them under polite pressure you should get a result.

Generally they will bend over backwards to stop an official complaint that goes beyond the store.
The fact that the good staff are working under terrible conditions, imo, and the rest are useless is not your problem & some freebies may help you feel better about your wasted time.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Generally they will bend over backwards to stop an official complaint that goes beyond the store.
The fact that the good staff are working under terrible conditions, imo, and the rest are useless is not your problem & some freebies may help you feel better about your wasted time.

My father in law works for a in bike hut in a local halfrauds and has told me the same. Complain to the store manager and threaten to report them to head office and you will come away with a handful of freebies

OP
OP
D

Dyno

I appreciate all your good advice. I'll certainly revisit Halfords requesting a replacement chain as the previous chain broke and is now shorter. its nice to get confirmation that my thinking was not flawed.

fungus

Veteran

If not then do this:
- take it off completely
- wrap it round the largest chainring and largest sprocket - not through the rear mech
- it should meet and have one two link overlap.

FTFY
thumbsup.png

Wardy

snip
You are only likely to get it from the man in charge & that means the store manager (not a duty manager) have a think about your approach before you go in, make it clear to him/her you are very unhappy & disappointed by the whole experience & what are they going to do about restoring your faith, therefore ensuring you don't have to take the matter to H.O. If you put them under polite pressure you should get a result.

Last time I had problems with my local Hellfords I wrote to the store manager and Head Office and never got a reply. If they were the last bike shop on earth I wouldn't have anything to do with them now.

Cubist

Still wavin'

If not then do this:
- take it off completely
- it should meet and have one link overlap.

It needs two links overlap, not least because a CB MTB will have a long cage rear mech.

Top Bottom