Was today 'National Sensible Driving Day'?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bugner

My commute home this evening was extrordinary. I had White Van Man and Red Bus Man giving way and letting me go first. I had drivers giving me a wide berth when overtaking. I received a flash of acknowledgement from a car coming in the opposite direction which I slowed down for to allow them to overtake. All in all it was a very pleasant incident free ride home. I am confused :blush:

I must admit, I have more considerate drivers than bad drivers, I just get well pissed off with the few that are bad

Hop3y

Padiham Commuter
My commute home this evening was extrordinary. I had White Van Man and Red Bus Man giving way and letting me go first. I had drivers giving me a wide berth when overtaking. I received a flash of acknowledgement from a car coming in the opposite direction which I slowed down for to allow them to overtake. All in all it was a very pleasant incident free ride home. I am confused :blush:

Same here. I even had a White van man after I let him go shout "Good lad!"

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
They must have moved the nutters up here then :sad:

2 close passes and a brilliant example of bad driving. Temporary traffic lights with a "When red lights show wait here" sign on the right hand side of the road. I was stopped level with this sign on the left of the road and a woman in a black Scenic parks in front of the sign,on the wrong side (right hand lane) of the road next to a parked car blocking the road completely for the cars coming the other way.

Then when she has finally moved (forwards) enough to allow the cars through; on green she proceeds to turn left into the roadworks without looking and coming within 2" of my front wheel. Luckily I had spotted her and was taking evasive action.

Sheepy1209

Veteran
They must have moved the nutters up here then :sad:

Yep - yesterday (in Blackpool) was my worst day yet - left about half an hour later, the drivers at that time have a completely different character than the ones who set off earlier.

First a truck tried to kill me by running through a red light - PN52 ZTV, T Dobson & Sons of Preston - and when I caught up with him in traffic he said "I didn't see you!!" - so he thought it was OK to jump the light as long as he thought nothing was coming (hi-viz / reflectives / two front lights / smart 1/2w rear, reflective legbands with flashing LEDs/broad daylight.....)

Then a less serious but infuriating driver who insisted on half-overtaking me then driving alongside at 15mph because that was the speed of the car in front of him. Fine until he came to a junction with right-turning traffic and decided to pull back over while still alongside me (I'd guessed what he was about to do so it didn't come as a surprise!).

I can go weeks with no incidents then suddenly they're all out there.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Thinking about it, I have been waving "thanks" much more often this week than usual. Drivers separating on two lanes to leave a bigger gap in the middle etc.

Then again though there was the muppet on a moped last night that I had to chase down as he kept beeping me. I was on the right hand side of the lane, coming up to a dodgy junction (and pulling right into my house just after). There was no car on my left or within I would say 50 yards of me but muppet on the moped said he didn't have room to overtake me (could have used either side with 5 yards to spare). Just gave a rollicking at the next set of lights and turned around to go home. I must start wearing my calm-inducing camera again. :biggrin:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Not for me. I had the same WVM make two close passes within fifty yards of each other yesterday. Today I had another do a close pass followed by a left hook. Months go by without any, and then this. Strange.

OP
OP
Bugner

Bugner

You do realise normal service will resume tomorrow ! :biggrin:

Well this morning I left for work earlier than normal (5am) so the nice riding continued mainly because there was very little traffic. BUT, normal service was resumed this evening, with a some close passes and a woman in a Range Rover almost left hooking me :angry:

No

Today was "barge past approaching a pinch point at a red light" day

Yesterday was "unnecessary apology from nice WVM after he thought he nearly caused a collision when in fact it was me slipping on the brake hoods that made it seem like an emergency stop" day

Mad at urage

not for me had some ass clown nearly wipe me out overtaking on a roundabout and squeezing through the exit .

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Up2lJa-PffE

As the u-tube comments say, you need to be further out through and exiting the RAB, which will help prevent such idiots. I'd also advise practicing swaying your handlebars (whilst maintaining a straight line): If you look like you will damage their paintwork, they are far less likely to try that sort of thing (take the rubber bar-ends out, if you have them).

Top Bottom