washing up liquid...best bike cleaner ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cycling fisherman

I was discussing washing my bike down with one of the lads at work and i told him, this weekend i'm going to thoroughly clean the bike and that i was going to go to halfords this weekend to buy a load of cleaning gear for the bike...

"don't bother you are wasting your money" he replied...

"I used to use washing up liquid, but make sure you use decent stuff and use hot water and plenty of liquid" he remarked...

Ok i thought i'll give it a try, i have tried it and...

i'll tell you what he was right it is just as good if not better than any bike cleaner i have used, i know it's a de-greaser anyway but it has brought the bike up, especially the wheels into fantastic condition...

I totally reccommend washing up liquid for cleaning the bike, get the old toothbrush out and watch it cut the grease and grime off your cogs and metal surfaces...

zimzum42

Legendary Member
I used this last time I cleaned everything up, worked like a dream.

Sure someone will be along soon to tell us we've ruined our bikes forever!

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I've used washing up liquid for years on bikes, motorcycles and cars and I've never had a problem.

Where do people get this stuff about washing up liquid being an abrasive? It's just a soapy liquid.

kyuss

Veteran
I use car car shampoo myself, just as cheap (the last bottle of concentrated stuff I bought was about 70p for a litre) and does just as good a job. I've heard about washing up liquid containing salt and other nasties that are not ideal on laquered surface or bare metal, though I'm sure it's not as bad as some would make out, but why take the chance.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Smokin Joe said:
I've used washing up liquid for years on bikes, motorcycles and cars and I've never had a problem.

Where do people get this stuff about washing up liquid being an abrasive? It's just a soapy liquid.

Ditto.
Mostly though I use Tesco's car shampoo as it also contains a touch of wax.

Willow

I just use plain water on the car otherwise it takes the wax off and makes it more difficult to clean. Wash and vacum it weekly and polish 2/3 times a year. Bizarrely though I use any car shampoo I get given on the bike.

I hate a dirty car and have now taken to washing the bike every time I wash the car ie weekly!!

:ohmy: saddo

Willow said:
I just use plain water on the car otherwise it takes the wax off and makes it more difficult to clean. Wash and vacum it weekly and polish 2/3 times a year. Bizarrely though I use any car shampoo I get given on the bike.

I hate a dirty car and have now taken to washing the bike every time I wash the car ie weekly!!

:ohmy: saddo

Vacuuming your bike seems a bit excessive (and fairly difficult, I'd imagine! :o).

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Anything is better than products like MucOff which will strip lube from even sealed bearings.

Washing up liquid does contain salt.

Car wax/shampoos clean the grease and oil off less well (which is a good thing) and do leave a waxy residue (which is a good thing). So, as a gallon of the stuff lasts years, it's hard to think of a reason not to use it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
No..washing up liquid will strip any wax etc. off the frame/car - yeh gives a good result, but won't be the best finish. Use simple car shampoo - softer. I'm also fussy about the car - don't ever use it on cars, no point in waxing it, the rain won't bubble and run off, and will lead to paint faid - especially red.

To be honest, Mr Sheen is ace at cleaning all surfaces - fast, will take the black sh!t off your coloured tyres no problem..... Great on bikes - don't use on car paint.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
1/ Washing up liquid contains so little salt, which is on the bike for a matter of minutes before you rinse it off that it makes bugger all difference. 100 yards on a gritted winter road will cover your bike in more salt than a lifetimes cleaning.

2/ Wax makes things shine. It does NOT protect, unless anyone can explain how a coating of about 1/10,000th of an inch thick will somehow protect your paint from stone chips.

Top Bottom