Wasps Nests

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Well,

Ater dispatching a nest last year located inside my garage wall cavity/eaves, we've not just got one new nest, but a total of three.

One is in the loft above my son's room (wasps accessing it through the roof vents), and there are two on the outside of the garage at the rear under the eaves - just sprung up in the last month or two, busy little blighters. Unfortunately they are right above a decking play area for my kids.

Liberal application of foaming nest destroyer and ant powder to follow. :thumbsup:

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
Shame they aren't somewhere where you can nuke them with burning petrol. I have done that before, most satisfying!

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
Make small paper mache balls and hang them where you think nests will be likely formed.
wasps who see this will believe a nest is already there and leave the area well alone.

pete

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Shame they aren't somewhere where you can nuke them with burning petrol. I have done that before, most satisfying!

Sounds mindlessly destructive to me. I can understand how someone would be nervous and want to remove a nest very close to where their children are playing, but wasps are docile unless they or their nests are directly threatened. Generally, I don't see why people can't learn to leave them alone.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Hit the nest with a very short stick until the wasps go away.

Just to clarify matters....

darth vadar

Über Member
Sounds mindlessly destructive to me. I can understand how someone would be nervous and want to remove a nest very close to where their children are playing, but wasps are docile unless they or their nests are directly threatened. Generally, I don't see why people can't learn to leave them alone.

Bloody animal lovers eh?

I have been stung several times by wasps and on no occasion have I ever been threatening towards them.

Death to the wasps !!!!!!!

henshaw11

+1

We've had 'em in a few spots - up in the roof cavity of a building at the bottom of the garden, they only got a bit grumpy when I was trying to strip away some ivy next to the vent where the nest was.
Last year we had a nest about 6 or 7ft up in a bush, about 1 ft from the path down the garden which I used most days. Barely knew they were there. By the time we left our old previous house there were a good handful of nests in the loft - you'd never have known otherwise.

They're beneficial insects and predate on various bugs in the garden. You may get some cranky wasps nr the end of summer or whenever the queens head off, and the colony order collapses, but as mentioned we didn't notice them last year, and if it's that much of a deal you do something about it then, having left the wasps to do their waspy activities over the summer.

Leave the poor buggers alone !

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
No I am with the nuke them brigade, if they want to do their waspy activities they can do it somewhere else.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
According to this little snippet, they are doubly mean when they get pissed....

During June and July you are unlikely to get wasp stings, as wasps are too busy chasing insects and bringing up the larval wasps. However as autumn arrives these activities stop and the wasps start to feed on fermenting, over ripe fruit. These “drunken wasps” are now at their most dangerous and can become very aggressive, with a wasp sting more likely to happen.

Bloody louts...

Top Bottom