Wasps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alcdrew

I have a queen wasp trying to make a home in my shed, and she won't quit. On Sunday, the wife went to get her bike out of the shed to give it a clean, to find a small wasps nest (about the size of a golf ball) but only 1 wasp, she ran screaming into the house and sent me to deal with it. But since bug season is only just starting I didn't have any bug spray so went armed with a can of compressed air (which, I'm informed when squirted upside down will freeze bugs) squirting madly worrying a lot as I was in T-shirt and shorts, I managed to destroy her nest and scare her away. Went back in the house very proud that I had done the manly thing and protected my wife:biggrin: Then Monday morning, go to get my bike out of the shed, and along comes the wasp, looking around for her nest, so I get my compressed air out again, but again only manage to scare her off. But now I think thats it, job done, she's seen her nest is destroyed and that a big air blowing creature is protecting the area, so is not going to come back. But then this morning, there she is again, in my shed and this time actually restarting to build the nest. More compressed air, which again she avoids and flys off.

How dumb can it be, surely it must give up soon. Hope so as I'm running out of compressed air.:tongue:

But I'm now off to the supermarket to get some bug spray, so if she does come back shes going down:evil:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Doh! I thought this was going to be a thread about White Anglo-Saxon Protestants. :tongue:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Squirt the queen with any aerosol spray, like anti-perspirant, she'll drop from the air to the ground, then stand on her... unless by now she's bigger than you.

Too many of the blighters around this year already for my liking.

domtyler

Über Member
Pull all her legs off one by one, then start on the wings. Once she's down to one leg left, find a nice spider web with a big chunky looking spider sitting on it and chuck the wasp into it, the one leg will ensure that she makes enough wriggling to attract the attention of the spider.

OP
OP
Alcdrew

Alcdrew

domtyler said:
Pull all her legs off one by one, then start on the wings. Once she's down to one leg left, find a nice spider web with a big chunky looking spider sitting on it and chuck the wasp into it, the one leg will ensure that she makes enough wriggling to attract the attention of the spider.

I like your thinking there. But feel I'm likely to get stung several time whilst pulling legs and wings off. Maybe I should just find a big spider and put that in the shed, then let nature take it's cause...

walker said:
can you not totally destroy this nest with a broom or something?

Done that, well the compressed air, blow the nest to the floor and I stamped on it, there is nothing left of the original one. But this morning she was in about the same place where it was and starting to re-build.

But I have a big can of bug spray now, which I'll happily squirt all over her if she comes back, she's had plenty of chances to live and go find someone else shed.

OP
OP
Alcdrew

Alcdrew

Thats just too simple, never even thought about it:blush:

domtyler

Über Member
You could buy a few hundred Giant African Hornets and put those in your shed to scare the invaders off maybe?

miloat said:
If you spray em with a hose of water they cant fly then you can smite em.

Hmm be carefull with this one. When I was younger me and a friend spent hours one day catching bees and wasps and half drowning them in a bucket of water, and then take delight in watching them squirm about when we fished them out. We were too stupid to realise that they would start flying once they dried out. I think I got stung about 11 times by angry bees/wasps. Not clever.

Another time my friend had a huge wasps nest at the bottom of his garden. I came along to find him and another few friends pinging small stones off it and laughing at the angry wasps as they buzzed around the nest, no doubt trying to protect it from the unseen assailants. Me being really clever picked up a half brick and threw it into the centre of the nest. That really annoyed the occupants. If I remember correctly I got stung over 35 times that day!!!

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I got a wasp attached to my eyelid after accidentally disturbing a nesy in a hedge :angry: My daughter still laughs about the ensuing dance around the garden as I tried frantically to get it off! Wasps are evil and deserve to die....;)

domtyler

Über Member
Fnaar said:
I got a wasp attached to my eyelid after accidentally disturbing a nesy in a hedge :angry: My daughter still laughs about the ensuing dance around the garden as I tried frantically to get it off! Wasps are evil and deserve to die....;)

What was Nessy doing in your hedge? Shouldn't she have been in a Loch somewhere?

Top Bottom