Wasps?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Seigi

Has anyone else noticed there seems to be lots of wasps around the past few days or so? Or is it just me? I've just woken up and found two in my room when my window was shut all night so I don't have a clue how they got in here unless they climbed in between the gap in the window (Old sliding windows, listed building, tried to get gaps filled but they told us they can't because it's listed *sigh*).

I also found one dying in the bathtub last night, maybe it's just that, because they're dying so they're venturing out more?

calibanzwei

Had to report a nest to facilities yesterday... that and something hard and/or sharp hit me on my clavicle yesterday doing 25mph down a hill. Cue the one handed freakout, trying to dislodge whatever stinging insect through my t-shirt :biggrin:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
You might have a nest in your loft, if you have a loft.

I have a wasp nest at the moment in the flat roof of a bay window. Just going to leave them and get on with it. They are not bothering us or getting into the house. Come the cold weather they will die out anyway. Wasps nests are never reused.

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
now is the season (turn, turn turn)
basically the young wasps have all hatched, they are no longer producing that sticky nectar that hte adults crave so they head out on the prowl.
now is the time they fly around your sweet drinks and whatnot, they're sugar junkies and need their fix!
:biggrin:

martint235

Dog on a bike
You might have a nest in your loft, if you have a loft.

I have a wasp nest at the moment in the flat roof of a bay window. Just going to leave them and get on with it. They are not bothering us or getting into the house. Come the cold weather they will die out anyway. Wasps nests are never reused.

They have been known to return to a locality though. Whatever attracted the queen this year may be still attractive next year....

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
They have been known to return to a locality though. Whatever attracted the queen this year may be still attractive next year....

Not unless you exterminate them. Done 4 nests this year, two easy to get too, the other two dusted the 'entry' area with ant powder. All were rather too close to where either the kids played or near window/door. Got stung once (first time ever but oh well)

PS where is waspyfecker ?

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
It's funny you should say wasps, but again this summer, (like last summer) we've had a distinct lack of wasps about in the North East (well my area anyways) ... I think I've seen one and that was out on a cycle ride, maybe they hate this area :biggrin:

Basil.B

Guru
Hardly seen any wasps this summer. Forgotten all about them!

porteous

Veteran
I keep bees. Wasps at this time of year are at the top of their breeding cycle, so competing for food and get intrusive and aggressive ( The can invade and destroy a weak bee colony, eating the bees and the honey).

I use plastic milk containers with a cupful of beer/jam/water solution in and a hole in the side. Planted upside down in flowerbeds and the like each one catches several hundred wasps in a couple of weeks. Keeps the local wasps well down in numbers.

Wasps are quite useful since they are predatory on garden pests, but can get a bit much at this time of year.

OP
OP
Seigi

Seigi

Yeah, I've heard of the trick of cutting a plastic bottle and turning the top part inside and filling with water, smearing something like lemonade around the top to entice them in.

Might have to set some up near windows/doors to try and catch them before they get in.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
What you been up to this summer, waspyfecker?

Buzzing around me when I've been fishing I imagine.

Still, I've twatted a fair few of his mates this Year. Yup, you heard that right Waspyfecker, I've twatted some of your mates
biggrin.gif

Top Bottom