Watch out, diesel about

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bahtes

Had my first real scary moment on the commute into work this morning. Going down my favourite part of the commute (nice decent from Ravenfield to Dalton), doing about 35 and my bike went really light...WTF. God knows how I managed to stay on two wheels, but I thank Madonna del Ghisallo (patron saint of cycling) for saving my ass from hitting the tarmac.

So, if I report this to the local council will they do anything about it or is there anything else I should do?

Matthames

Über Member
If you report it the council will have a responsibility to go and clean it up. It is a danger to most road users, especially cyclists and motorcyclist.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Avoided one by pure luck on Saturday on the way to work. Got there as the cops had just blocked the road, and a cleanup crew were putting down sand and some sort of white chemical. Chuffed!

Alan Whicker

I've reported a major spill to the Police via 999. It was all over the road at Aldgate in London. I wasn't sure who to ring so I just went for it, reckoning it was very dangerous - I was on my scooter and it was like riding on ice. The controller told me that the Police would take it very seriously and 999 was the right thing to do in the circumstances.

Slowmotion - I've always encountered much more diesel in the 'other traffic' section of the road. I think it's HGVs/vans that are to blame, rather than buses, though that's not to say spilled diesel isn't found in bus lanes. I always try and avoid riding or braking on any white lines or grating etc, especially in the wet. Easier said than done, mind.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
In the wet, you can spot the rainbows on the surface.... although at night, then it's take it easy......

If dry, then this can be lethal for motorbikers usually, but spot anything that looks greasy or wet, then get out of the way....

AdamBlade

marinyork said:
Yeap my last nasty off was on diesel (which I worked out later).

Same here! I only worked it out later. It was on a junction close to trading estate where lots of lorries turn. Have to go on the same junction everyday but have changed my route so I'm going straight on and not turning right.

ELL

Über Member
I had a crash in my car a few years ago because of a diesel spill. I was only doing 30mph and it wrote off the car. first thing the cop said was "going a bit fast were we" next cop came along and shut her right up by telling her there was a massive diesel spill on the road. She didn't hang around for long after that. They said it was a well known place for diesel spills but cant do anything about it.

Origamist

Legendary Member
slowmotion said:
for Alan Wicker et al.

Thanks. That white line advice makes a whole load of sense.

Also try to avoid the centre of the lane (particularly on bends) - this central strip attracts a lot of oil, grease and diesel. If you do find yourself riding over diesel, try not to veer left or right suddenly...

Top Bottom