Waterproof footwear for cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Up to now, I have used a variety of lightweight training shoes for commuting on the basis that I don't use SPD's or suchlike and thus don't need their functionality. However, the trainers I have at present are not very waterproof, and I'm wondering if there are any decent waterproof cycling shoes out there that people would recommend - and which don't break the bank.

:biggrin:

OP
OP
beanzontoast
Brief, to the point... but to get more marks, elaboration would be useful. :rolleyes:

I have no experience of using overshoes. Are there any that are particularly good (and good value)? Do they take up much room when not in use - can they be carried easily in a pannier?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've got gore ones which are similar material to waterproof coats - rather than the more normal ones. For me, I went down that road as I was wearing them over normal shoes. I don't wear them very often - just when its tipping with rain. Never tried the other sort so I don't know how they compare.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i've found overshoes to provide a very useful rain barrier when used in conjunction with front mudguards.

with no mudguards, they become less useful, especially if your commute is more than 5 minutes in duration.

they will keep the mud, crap etc off your shoes too, if that's important.

Sakura

Overshoes I found of limited use. The best I tried were neoprene. They were reasonable at retaining warmth in winter. But innefectual in heavy rain because the rain seeps down your training bottoms and into the shoe.

This is 15/20 years ago. Maybe more effective options are on the market these days.

Neoprene overshoes help me. I used to get so blo0dy annoyed at soggy cycling shoes - or being caught out. The amount of crud that flies onto them is amazing on a commute.
Endura - from Evans in this instance - 19.99. They were in my little rucksack today thankfully, as 'big water' fell in London. I just stopped under cover and pulled them on.
Nice and warm in the winter also.
Easily cleaned too.

The problem with waterproof shoes is your legs!

I use Goretex shoes (Shimano MT70) but they still get wet as water trickles down your legs!

Tynan

Veteran
overshoes turn wringing wet feet into damp ones which is ok, as others say the water seeps in through the ankle join, and I guess the cleat holes and the various holes you get over time

Plax

Guru
I have these;
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=9275

Think they are excellent. They will make your feet sweat if you have thick socks but that's worth it compared to the alternative of a swimming pool inside your shoe.
Buy ones that are for shoes a few sizes bigger than your shoe size, as they can be a tight fit.
I've not had any problems with water getting in. I find them quite tight around the calf anyway and usually have water proof trousers covering them.

yello

I have overshoes but they're to keep my feet warm rather than dry. Nothing, short of not going out, will keep your feet dry. Water will find a way through somewhere; be it through the cleat holes or down the top. I just accept that my feet will get wet in a downpour. Neoprene overshoes keep the worst of it off/out but not bone dry. More importantly, they keep my feet warm when they get wet.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
anyone recommend a pair of overshoes that are a bit thinner than the thick neoprene I use in winter, looking for something less bulky that can be stuffed in my bag ?

monnet

Guru
I agree that there's nothing completely waterproof, which is why i've never bothered with gore tex shoes. I use neoprene overshoes and i think they're all a muchness - +/-£20, BBB, Pro, Endura, Adidas they all do the job, ie: keep damp feet warm rather than letting wet feet get cold. I know people who give the Sealskinz waterproof socks a hearty recommendation (never used them myself).

Mr Grumpy, do you want waterproof or something to take the chill off? For the former I think the best bet is something like Pro's H20's (although they are still quite warm). If it's keeping the chill off, what about oversocks?

Top Bottom