1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Waterproof footwear for cycling

Discussion in 'Bikes and Buying Advice - What Bike?' started by beanzontoast, 27 Apr 2008.

1. beanzontoast

beanzontoast Veteran

Up to now, I have used a variety of lightweight training shoes for commuting on the basis that I don't use SPD's or suchlike and thus don't need their functionality. However, the trainers I have at present are not very waterproof, and I'm wondering if there are any decent waterproof cycling shoes out there that people would recommend - and which don't break the bank.

:biggrin:

2. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

Get some overshoes.

3. beanzontoast

beanzontoast Veteran

Brief, to the point... but to get more marks, elaboration would be useful. :rolleyes:

I have no experience of using overshoes. Are there any that are particularly good (and good value)? Do they take up much room when not in use - can they be carried easily in a pannier?

4. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

Sorry, I was doing three things at once.

Have a look at somewhere like Wiggle. I have some Gill ones which are pretty good. But nothing is completely waterproof.

5. If I'm wearing mtb shoes or normal shoes and its really wet I use waterproof socks (usually on top of my normal socks removing them at the destination) but on the road bike I wear overshoes.

6. beanzontoast

beanzontoast Veteran

Cheers guys - I've been a waterproof sock fan (really must get out more!) for a long time, but I can see the overshoe thing finally getting a try in the near future.

7. summerdays

summerdays Cycling in the sun Staff Member

I've got gore ones which are similar material to waterproof coats - rather than the more normal ones. For me, I went down that road as I was wearing them over normal shoes. I don't wear them very often - just when its tipping with rain. Never tried the other sort so I don't know how they compare.

8. alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye nothing in moderation Staff Member

i've found overshoes to provide a very useful rain barrier when used in conjunction with front mudguards.

with no mudguards, they become less useful, especially if your commute is more than 5 minutes in duration.

they will keep the mud, crap etc off your shoes too, if that's important.

9. Sakura

Sakura New Member

Overshoes I found of limited use. The best I tried were neoprene. They were reasonable at retaining warmth in winter. But innefectual in heavy rain because the rain seeps down your training bottoms and into the shoe.

This is 15/20 years ago. Maybe more effective options are on the market these days.

10. Neoprene overshoes help me. I used to get so blo0dy annoyed at soggy cycling shoes - or being caught out. The amount of crud that flies onto them is amazing on a commute.
    Endura - from Evans in this instance - 19.99. They were in my little rucksack today thankfully, as 'big water' fell in London. I just stopped under cover and pulled them on.
    Nice and warm in the winter also.
    Easily cleaned too.

11. Cunobelin

Cunobelin Legendary Member

The problem with waterproof shoes is your legs!

I use Goretex shoes (Shimano MT70) but they still get wet as water trickles down your legs!

12. HJ

HJ Cycling in Scotland

Try here for a few ideas...

13. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

overshoes turn wringing wet feet into damp ones which is ok, as others say the water seeps in through the ankle join, and I guess the cleat holes and the various holes you get over time

14. Plax

Plax Veteran

I have these;
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=9275

Think they are excellent. They will make your feet sweat if you have thick socks but that's worth it compared to the alternative of a swimming pool inside your shoe.
    Buy ones that are for shoes a few sizes bigger than your shoe size, as they can be a tight fit.
    I've not had any problems with water getting in. I find them quite tight around the calf anyway and usually have water proof trousers covering them.

15. yello

yello Guru

I have overshoes but they're to keep my feet warm rather than dry. Nothing, short of not going out, will keep your feet dry. Water will find a way through somewhere; be it through the cleat holes or down the top. I just accept that my feet will get wet in a downpour. Neoprene overshoes keep the worst of it off/out but not bone dry. More importantly, they keep my feet warm when they get wet.