Waterproof jacket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

geo

Which waterproof jacket gets the vote on here ? I'm after full waterproof not just shower proof, breathable and not particularly figure hugging, as I dont have a figure I want hugging by some close fitting jacket. Quite like the look of the Altura extreme anyone have one ? if so would you recommend failing that any suggestions much appreciated,thanks guys.

george

ACS

Legendary Member
I have a Altura Crosslite in red. No complaints whatsoever. Used it on a recent Audax, where it poured lashed it down for the first 3 hours. Points of contact around the shoulder area got damp. When the monsoon abated I could take it off and ride in comfort.

Its waterproof, breathable and a reasonable price. If you are looking for just a windproof/rain jacket its fits the bill. During the winter months I use a Nevis as the Crosslite is no use for keeping you warm.

Hope this helps

OP
OP
G

geo

Budget wise, ideally no more than £70-£80.Could stretch to a little more but would prefer to stick around that figure. Not looked at the price of the crosslite but it sounds like it would fit the bill perfectly. Thanks for the help.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I'm on my 4th Altura Crosslite because the zips have failed or torn. I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole again. They have been all replaced so I'm waiting for the last one to disintegrate fully before never buying another.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I have exaggerrated - it's 3!

The first tore badly along the line of the rear zip and was replaced by Evans after a years use.
The same thing happened with the replacement after 6 months but before I could get mad the main zip and small front zip seized. I sent that one back to Altura who agreed that it was unacceptable and replaced it.
That one is still in use a year later although the rear pocket has ripped again but carpet tape is doing the job so far.
I rarely put anything and nothing of weight in the rear pocket but I suspect the tears happened when I was putting a buff into it whilst riding.

It's very effective as a waterproof though!

OP
OP
G

geo

I have exaggerrated - it's 3!

The first tore badly along the line of the rear zip and was replaced by Evans after a years use.
The same thing happened with the replacement after 6 months but before I could get mad the main zip and small front zip seized. I sent that one back to Altura who agreed that it was unacceptable and replaced it.
That one is still in use a year later although the rear pocket has ripped again but carpet tape is doing the job so far.
I rarely put anything and nothing of weight in the rear pocket but I suspect the tears happened when I was putting a buff into it whilst riding.

It's very effective as a waterproof though!

It was alllooking so good and at £60 quite a bargain, your experience has obviously made me think twice !! One jacket failing and I'd say unlucky but 3 !! there must be something wrong in the manufacture process

Hugo15

Über Member
I've had my Altura Crosslite jacket for a couple of years now. It's a good jacket and folds up small enough to go in your jersey pocket. Zips on mine have been fine.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I rarely put anything and nothing of weight in the rear pocket but I suspect the tears happened when I was putting a buff bottle of single malt into it whilst riding.

more like it
icon_razz.gif

Number14

Veteran
Which waterproof jacket gets the vote on here ? I'm after full waterproof not just shower proof, breathable and not particularly figure hugging, as I dont have a figure I want hugging by some close fitting jacket. Quite like the look of the Altura extreme anyone have one ? if so would you recommend failing that any suggestions much appreciated,thanks guys.

george

As has been previously posted, there's no such thing a s waterproof and breathable - you'll either get wet from the rain or, if you're pedalling hard, from sweat. Accept that you'll get wet and try something from Buffalo Systems. They're windprof and they keep you toasty warm and, if you get too hot, just open up the sides and you've got a "tabard" style top with BIG vents for cooling. They're not figure hugging either. I've used a Tecmaxshirt all alst winter with nothing underneath and it kept me warm when it was piddling down in the depth of winter and, by opening the pit zips, cools when I was working hard.

I think that they're the mutt's nuts!

Top Bottom