waterproof jackets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gallego1968

I am looking for a waterproof jacket which is also hi-viz so cagers have no excuse when they say i didn't see you. There are so many out there it is hard to decide. I am wondering which you guy's recommend.

Tynan

Veteran
altura nightvision is very very bright and waterproof

it's aslo very warm which is the issue with any jacket that's waterproof

I promise people still won't see you however bright/lit up you are, they'll be th eones that never looked at all or just don't care

Money spent on a proper bright light is money well spent, bright enough to be used even on a bright day

Endura Gridlock. Had mine over 2 years and absolutely love it. Check it out HERE

endura%20gridlock%20jacket.jpg

I am looking for a waterproof jacket which is also hi-viz so cagers have no excuse when they say i didn't see you. There are so many out there it is hard to decide. I am wondering which you guy's recommend.
Unfortunately it won't be the answer to SMIDSY; there's been so many reports of folk being dressed up like a Christmas tree and SMIDSY still not seeing. Positioning/ defensive cycling is far better and good lights if you intend cycling in the dark but IMO it doesn't hurt to have that extra chance of being seen, hivis (but dont rely on it).
For me rather than complete waterproofness (boil in the bag) I like a breathable jacket and the best I've found for that so far is the Montane Featherlite.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
I have the Endura Gridlock and it is a great jacket but a bit warm for this time of year IMHO. I got a great shower proof jacket out of Aldi for a tenner last month and it is superb. Was going to get the Montane Featherlite Velo first, pleased I tried this first as it is great for the cash, certainly not boil in the bag and pretty waterproof too. Cannot comment on the Monatane Velo as never tried it.

I have the Endura Gridlock and it is a great jacket but a bit warm for this time of year IMHO. I got a great shower proof jacket out of Aldi for a tenner last month and it is superb. Was going to get the Montane Featherlite Velo first, pleased I tried this first as it is great for the cash, certainly not boil in the bag and pretty waterproof too. Cannot comment on the Monatane Velo as never tried it.

If its the same jacket they had last year in Aldi, the Montane is slightly more breathable I can't really compare waterproofness as I've never had the Aldi jacket on in prolonged exposed condition but I expect they are similar :-)

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
If its the same jacket they had last year in Aldi, the Montane is slightly more breathable I can't really compare waterproofness as I've never had the Aldi jacket on in prolonged exposed condition but I expect they are similar :-)

Sounds like the Velo is a good jacket then as my jacket is pretty breathable. I only have one from Decathlon that cost a tenner also to compare it with, and that was garbage I was sweating like a pig. May check out the Velo when I have some spare cash sounds like a good jacket.

cycleGeoff

Yeah the gridlock thing is ok. Personally I now wear the Tenn Storm Jacket when it's raining, because... well it's just really good. And cheaper.

But as you want something that's really high viz... I would look

HERE

...because it's like half the price of that gridlock one and is a really great piece of gear overall. I wore one for about a year and it served me well!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
This time of year i am down to a gilet i made mine out of an aldi windproof and cut the sleeves off , it was reduced to £6 so i though i am not breaking the bank.

I find all full sleeve windproof/water proofs act as "boil in the bag "
How about something like?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Polaris-RBS-H...-size-XXL_W0QQitemZ270750404850QQcmdZViewItem

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
You'll defo get seen by traffic in that! Still I prefer the Tenn-outdoors version.

yes the Tenn stuff is nice, i just find waterproofs , even the breathable ones to much of a sweat box and i get wet inside.
Even mid winter i only have a long sleeve base layer, SS jersey and a windproof + SS shorts + bikesters .3 am Saturday morning i was comign home from work in just SS jersey + shorts .

Whatever you do, just don't buy the Karrimor cycling jacket from sports direct. If there was ever a real boil in the bag then this is it, i keep mine in a drawer at work ..just in case i might need it...to be honest I'd rather get rained on!The funniest thing is that the label says"designed for cycling"

altura nightvision is very very bright and waterproof

it's aslo very warm which is the issue with any jacket that's waterproof

I promise people still won't see you however bright/lit up you are, they'll be th eones that never looked at all or just don't care

Money spent on a proper bright light is money well spent, bright enough to be used even on a bright day

^ agree with all the points here...

Whatever you do, just don't buy the Karrimor cycling jacket from sports direct. If there was ever a real boil in the bag then this is it, i keep mine in a drawer at work ..just in case i might need it...to be honest I'd rather get rained on!The funniest thing is that the label says"designed for cycling"

a mate of mine bought one of those, it looked like it was more suited for a winters day on a building site.

i didnt have the heart to say anything other that 'yeah, that'll do the job!'

Top Bottom