Waxoyl, good or bad idea?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

asterix

Comrade Member
About to set off on my new bike and noticed an almost complete lack of air in rear tyre. Suspecting it might have developed a leak I tried to remove the outer casing (Panaracer TG 23mm) snapping 2 tyre levers before doing it with a since rather battered topeak alien multitool. However, I've been using panaracers (25mm) for a while on another bike (Open Pro rims) no trouble.

It seems to be simply that the new rubber is very sticky against new hoops(open Sport) so I thought I'd put a bit of waxoyl very lightly on the very edge of the rim. Hey presto, the tyre went back much more easily and may well be easier to remove in future(?). OTOH it may be bonded inexorably ..

Does anyone know if waxoyl is ok for this purpose? Obviously it's important to be careful and keep it away from brake surfaces. Or is there a better way of easing sticky tyres on and off rims?

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
I believe Waxoyl has a white spirit base which is not good for rubber. In addition, it is designed to stay in place for long periods which may result in tyre creep around the rim.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
No waxoil...talc only to help tubes go in...... you've pinched it...been there...experienced or not...had a hell of a time re-mounting some older puncture proof horrid tractor tyre things on my commuter.............

FFS where is my new fixed.......... MTB to mud plugging........ anyone recommend mud plugging tyres ????

Big John

Guru
Panaracers are sods to get on anyway - waxoil or no waxoil. I've got some Panaracer Extremes and had to take the back one into the LBS as I had to give up and admit defeat. I stood in the workshop and watched two of them wrestling with the bloody thing but eventually they beat it into submission, sweating like a glassblowers armpit. If I ever get a puncture while I'm out I'll be walking home.

OP
OP
asterix

asterix

Comrade Member
Yes, I can see the argument for fairy liquid. After all it doesn't harm rubber washing gloves AFAIK (I'm not an expert on washing up either).

tyred

Legendary Member
Although I have put waxoyl underneath the windsceen rubber of my van in a lazy attempt to stop the rust underneath it from developing into a hole and it doesn't seem to have done the rubber any harm and that was two years ago.

Mr Pig

When taking tires off and on, if they're hard to fit, you want to take the first part off from next to the valve and refit so that the tire next to the valve is the last bit to go on. Try it, you'll notice a big difference.

Top Bottom