"We own it" petition- stop GP surgeries being sold to American company.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
This just came into my email inbox:

https://weownit.org.uk/act-now/stop-sell-49-gp-practices

I've assumed it's true and signed the petition.

Now going to contact my doctor's surgery as a few years ago the senior partner of the practice set up a collaboration with 5 other practices to 'reduce overheads and centralise resources'... which as we all know means cut down services and make as many people redundant as possible in search of profit... I wouldn't put it past him to sell out to the highest bidder.

Since the senior partner got appointed as the managing partner he's been ruthless and the service has declined appallingly. In contrast the other GP surgery in the same building a medical receptionist answers your telephone call within a minute or so and you don't have the 'please dial one for... two for... three for... or hold for a receptionist... you are... 15th... in the queue...your call is important to us".

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Signed 👍

Drago

Flouncing Nobber
Signed and shared. Who would have thought that "...the NHS is not for sale" was another big fat Tory lie?
All GP practices are already privately owned, wholly or jointly by senior partners, and are contracted to provide services to the NHS. This has been the case since 1948, so there are no partisan political points to be made with that one - in the case of the ownership of GP practices it is not a lie, because they NHS have never owned them to begin with.

It's not terribly common, but as busiensses they can and do fail and go into administration. They have to make a profit, and have always had to do so, so patient care is not their sole priority and never has been.

This whole affair was news 73 years ago. The only potential difference now is the accents of some of the proprietors.

Last edited:

LCpl Boiled Egg

Lovely bit of squirrel
All GP practices are already privately owned, wholly or jointly by senior partners, and are contracted to provide services to the NHS. This has been the case since 1948, so there are no partisan political points to be made with that one.
Cheers, already been schooled on that one...

LCpl Boiled Egg

Lovely bit of squirrel
You didn't know it, but still said it was the Tories that were selling off the NHS!

Next you will be telling us that the Labour party are the true saviours of the NHS as they are against privatisation.........before you do, just quickly Google PFI hospitals!
That's right, I didn't know GP surgeries were privately owned. I do now, and have admitted I have learnt something new today. What's your point?

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
We don't own GP practices. We - the NHS - have never owned GP practices. They have always been privately owned businesses, who are paid fees by the NHS for providing GP services.
Yep. My uncle was a GP. He owned a practice with two surgeries. He owned the properties as well as the practice and made a killing when he retired.
The senior partners make a lot of money. The junior partners are on salaries.

Eric Olthwaite

Insert witty self-deprecating description here
Cheers, already been schooled on that one...
Actually my post was aimed not so much at your misunderstanding, which is common and understandable, but at the petition linked to by the OP. The "We Own It" campaign is an established political movement and must know very well that we do not in fact own GP practices. But if you look at the petition page https://weownit.org.uk/act-now/stop-sell-49-gp-practices it is clearly trying to mislead the public, which I think is pretty shoddy behaviour.

I don't know about English NHS but in Scotland not all medical practices are private.
My own local one is not and the doctors are salaried. It is under the control of NHS Highland and several mainland practices are included along with us.

OP
Archie_tect

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Thanks for the back-up Joe!

Please don't go off on tangents, if people read my OP you'll see I've clearly stated that our local GP surgery and the other 5 in the consortium are owned by the senior partners- it is the fact that any of the 49 could be owned by Centene, and any others across the UK could be sold off, including those controlled by NHS Trust, to US health insurance companies. It is this point that "We On It" are campaigning against.

Keep focused people and please do what you can to highlight the problem.

Last edited:

Craig the cyclist

That's right, I didn't know GP surgeries were privately owned. I do now, and have admitted I have learnt something new today. What's your point?
My point is that it isn't 'the Tory government telling lies and selling off healthcare' at all. Lots of healthcare is private, and has been since the very start. It has nothing to do with the Tory government, when the NHS was set-up the Labour government let lots of it remain essentially private.

It is lazy to write

Who would have thought that "...the NHS is not for sale" was another big fat Tory lie?
when it just isn't true.

Top Bottom