Wear in the gentlemen's area

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigsharn

Veteran
As per the title, I cycle all over the place, but a few times I've got to my destination and none-too-far from my gentlemen's area, there's a rip in my trousers (Always on the right hand side and going down the leg). Is there anything I can do to remedy this? I like my bike as it is, it's just annoying having to carry a pair of trousers in my bag should it happen.

Occasionally I get a bit sore in the same place so I think it may be my saddle, but it doesn't happen on the other side so it's bleeding confusing :sad:

david1701

do you dress to the right :tongue:

PK99

Legendary Member
As per the title, I cycle all over the place, but a few times I've got to my destination and none-too-far from my gentlemen's area, there's a rip in my trousers (Always on the right hand side and going down the leg). Is there anything I can do to remedy this? I like my bike as it is, it's just annoying having to carry a pair of trousers in my bag should it happen.

Occasionally I get a bit sore in the same place so I think it may be my saddle, but it doesn't happen on the other side so it's bleeding confusing :sad:

Check the velcro fixing tag on your saddle pack, i gaffer tape over mine to stop it chafing

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Could you wear a pair of underpants over your trousers superman style then take them off when you get to your destination? :biggrin:

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
Perhaps a new saddle :becool: .
How often does this tearing happen?
After how many miles?
Do you ever gat any rubbing or chafing in that area?
If this was happening on a regular basis I would be looking at new saddle or the superman dress but maybe with some ordinary shorts not Y fronts. If I'm going into town I usually wear a pair of cycling shorts under normal shorts as I don't want to be too pleased to see anyone :becool: .

snorri

Legendary Member
I haven't come across this problem in many years of cycling in ordinary clothing.
How many miles do you get out of the average pair of trousers before suffering the burst breeks problem?

raindog

er.....
If it always happens on one side only, are you sure the saddle is lined up correctly fore and aft with the top tube? Even a couple of millimeters might cause a problem.

OP
OP
B

Bigsharn

Veteran
Check the velcro fixing tag on your saddle pack, i gaffer tape over mine to stop it chafing

I don't have a saddle pack, I don't even have pannier bags on the rack yet XD

Perhaps a new saddle :becool: .
How often does this tearing happen?
After how many miles?
Do you ever gat any rubbing or chafing in that area?
If this was happening on a regular basis I would be looking at new saddle or the superman dress but maybe with some ordinary shorts not Y fronts. If I'm going into town I usually wear a pair of cycling shorts under normal shorts as I don't want to be too pleased to see anyone :becool: .

I haven't come across this problem in many years of cycling in ordinary clothing.
How many miles do you get out of the average pair of trousers before suffering the burst breeks problem?

It's infrequent, one pair of jeans lasted 10 miles and another lasted 25 before they ripped, hence I don't understand it at all. I only get chafing when I'm on the bike and I feel saddle on my inside leg instead of denim :tongue:

As for going for the superman look, would I use padded shorts or would normal ones do the job? And isn't there a gel or similar I can use on my saddle to stop it?

If it always happens on one side only, are you sure the saddle is lined up correctly fore and aft with the top tube? Even a couple of millimeters might cause a problem.

That it is, I made sure of that last time I adjusted my saddle (I started riding and had to stretch to reach the pedals so I had to lower it)

:whistle:
bustergonad2afbaa0zu5.png

buddha

Veteran
All of my cycling shorts/pants etc wear first in the same place. A small patch on the right-inside leg, towards the back, and about 3-4 inches below the crotch :blush:. Although it takes a while (in the order of months) for visible wear.

Saddle, saddlebag etc alignment are all fine. So I've put it down to it being the area of my leg that 'rests' on the saddle when I'm stopped at lights (left foot/toes on the ground, right foot on pedal - and a bike frame with a high BB). When I push off, that area must rub the saddle. Just a theory ...

tyred

Legendary Member
Is it a real tear or just wearing through? If it's a tear in otherwise sound material, is there anything damaged on the saddle which could rip your trousers?

Top Bottom