Wearing out pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
Can anybody tell me why I seem to be wearing out my right pedal on a regular basis. I must admit I am buying from the budget end of the market but I think I should be getting more than four or five hundred miles from them. My cycling is almost always in very hilly terrain with some off road work too, so I suppose my bike has a hard life.
Secondly, Can anybody suggest inexpensive pedals which can stand up to a bit of abuse.
Many Thanks

OP
OP
taximan

taximan

Seems as if the bearing are shot, grinding noises and on one occasion the pedal actually fell to pieces.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
How much did you pay, and what are they ? Type ? I assume these are just platform pedals.

Quality pedals won't wear out any time soon (years and years).

OP
OP
taximan

taximan

The pedals are Union K370 and yes they are platform pedals.I did not pay a great deal for them, I simply asked the bloke in the bike shop what he would reccomend and he told me that these were what he used on his hire bikes. Like I said in my first post, what puzzles me is why only the right pedal is affected. I wonder if there is a market for used left hand pedals;)

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
My thought is that they were probably badly assembled in the factory. If the bearings haven't actually been damaged by all this (pedal bearings are often surprisingly tough) it may be possible to revive them with a good strip down and regreasing.

col

Legendary Member
As a stab in the dark, Id say your right leg is stronger and giving it some more then the left. Must be crap pedals though if this is regular? Pay a bit more and get some stronger ones:thumbsup:

OP
OP
taximan

taximan

As a stab in the dark, Id say your right leg is stronger and giving it some more then the left. Must be crap pedals though if this is regular? Pay a bit more and get some stronger ones:thumbsup:

Thanks for the input guys, can anybody recomend a better pedal?

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Wellgo make decent pedals and they're cheaper than the big brands. In fact, they actually make pedals for some of the big brands

Top Bottom