Weather today ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
How was yours, mine was pretty spectacular for a bloomin cold cold day...

Up at 5am, walk the dog...oh boy, its still, but cold, very cold.
6am, out to the car for a 21 mile country car drive that takes in some pretty poor roads, a 5 mile section alongside a huge drainage dyke thats bloomin dangerously close to the road...in freezing fog. Its minus 14 :ohmy: .Jesus i knew it was cold...not that cold. Its a bad road in good weather...concentation concentration, 3 seconds loss, you can be in that dyke, plenty have before.

40mph max drive, passed 3 cars at the side of the road broken down, got to work to see someone else with the same problem i had...a windscreen that just wouldnt defrost, it took me a good 15 minutes to get it remotely clear when i set off..
Three guys at work had car problems, all freezing related. One has a busted water pump we think, one was overheating and stinking of burning rubber, one guy abandoned at home.
First guy phoned his local garage, join the queue he was told, you're the sixth this morning.

10am, its minus 9, snows still on the ground and a hoar frost everywhere, foggy so everything becomes blurred in the medium distance. Perfect day if you had a camera, strangely beautiful

Midday, its minus 8 and driving home, still a surreal atmosphere, like you're driving in the clouds, no horizon, no definition, hoar frost's made the hedges, grass verges and trees completely white, snow still sat in the fields, and a white fog...two kestrels perched in trees (different locations) hunkered up against the cold...thier colour stood out like flags against the whiteness of everything else..really really wierd, i actually felt like it was a dream.

Just getting back toward Peterborough, the fogs lifting with bits of sunlight getting through, its so bright in places, i can see mirages in the road..and heat haze :wacko: crikey, its all happening today.

Talking to someone when i got back...minus 15 near Spalding this morning, minus 16 a bit further north. Blimey...thats cold.

I hate the cold with a vengeance normally, but this was a really wierd, surreal, beautiful day.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
Was lovely here too.. I was gutted I couldn't get out due to the last dregs of sinusitis.

Common spring!

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
It was cold but dry and cloudy. The major roads and B roads were well gritted so I went out and did seventy miles on my bike to get my first 100km Audax ride in for the year. I went over distance as the the most direct route used some ungritted minor roads.

I don't think that the temperature rose above freezing point.

I feel good.

albion

Guru
Not so bad today. Chilly with the mist at the start, quite a warm thaw in the middle and a chilly mist again at dusk. (Newcastle). It's meant to stay above freezing for the night with a fuller thaw tomorrow.

Warmer further up north, yet its now -12C (6pm) in the East Midlands dropping 3C in one hour!

Maz

Guru
Water mains frozen this morning so no water at all. You should've seen the toilet.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
I'm going soft as well....
I'm a dog person, never really had any great empathy with cats, but work is a sprawing complex of buildings verging on the countryside. We have two kittens that live outside one of the quieter workshops (strictly against the rules). I suppose they're technically feral, but not aggresive. They're just about getting used to us.
So in the freezing cold, i wondered how they were getting on. Wandered across there, opened the roller door to be greeted by two meeowing balls of fur. Gave then a Mr Kiplings cake each which were devoured instantly....so i wandered back to my side, got my bacon out of my breakfast, warmed it up and fed them that. Christ, you'd think they'd never eaten. Sat with them in the workshop for half an hour so they could warm up then shooed them back out.
Theyre having the leftovers of spare ribs tomorrow...yes...i'm at work tomorrow as well :sad:

Top Bottom