weather!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
Just had rain,hail stone,thunder and lightning all within 10 mins on way home. 1st time I have been properly soaked whilst out on bike,will have to look into some wet weather gear now especially over-shoes feet are sopping wet. Funny thing is I still enjoyed it in a perverse sort of way:biggrin:
Oh and to top it off 5 mins after I get in the sun is shining:smile:

garrilla

You might get wet weather gear, the trouble is having it all with you.

I got totally lashed on yesterday on the way in. All I had was shower proof jacket. If I'd read the weather better I might have taken better gear, but you never can tell whats coming up, and you don't want to carry everything always.

Lightness = risk = perverse fun.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Got all my kit here - looks as though I'll be needing the lot. The new bike is in for it's first soaking, only it's second commute..... Manchester Weather....

A proper soaking is kind of fun and exhilirating in a strange way, isn't it? I've been done like that twice on the way to / from work:

The first time I had to stop for a while in a queue of traffic behind the binmen doing their thing. It was raining that hard the water running down the road was up to my ankles .. I was only a couple of minutes from work and so got to drip all over everyone and everything when I arrived. :biggrin::evil:

The other time was on the way home a few weeks ago .. gentle rain became harder rain became hail so I had a little stop under a bridge as I could see it was just a shower. It eased up so I pressed on (deciding not to put waterproofs on), then it fired back up again after a bit so I started heading for the next shelter opportunity a few hundred yards away. Then I got a big puncture and had to push / run the rest of the way to shelter.

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
I don't bother with waterproof gear in this kind of 'mixed' weather. Just seem to get 'less wet' (if that makes any kind of sense). Of course, I suppose this depends on length of commute etc.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
snapper_37 said:
I don't bother with waterproof gear in this kind of 'mixed' weather. Just seem to get 'less wet' (if that makes any kind of sense). Of course, I suppose this depends on length of commute etc.

See your point, but the main thing for me is keeping my shoes dry - damp shoes is no fun, and they take ages to dry, and then start smelling musty.... :angry:

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
Shoes I agree with Foss. Got covers myself, riding with wet feet is no joke. I meant more jackets etc.

garrilla

fossyant said:
See your point, but the main thing for me is keeping my shoes dry - damp shoes is no fun, and they take ages to dry, and then start smelling musty.... :angry:

Don't you have radiators in manchestor?

Tharg2007

Veteran
garrilla said:
Don't you have radiators in manchestor?

we do but we dont turn the heating on in the day when its not actually cold.:angry:

I timed it right tonight. It was dry when I cycled to the Supermarket but when I came out it started to spit, fortunately its close to my flat. Just as I was putting the bike in the bike shed the heaven opened, I spent the next couple of minutes waiting in the shed until there was a lull and then I darted inside. I'll probably get drenched tomorrow night now.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Don't need anything other than overshoes, and even those don't hold the rain out forever.

If I wear a jacket I sweat so much I'm often wetter on the inside than on the outside, so that's reserved for the middle of winter if there's icy rain only.

Celebrate the rain and getting wet - it's part of the fun and magic of cycling !! :eek:

Breedon

Legendary Member
goo_mason said:
If I wear a jacket I sweat so much I'm often wetter on the inside than on the outside, so that's reserved for the middle of winter if there's icy rain only.

Celebrate the rain and getting wet - it's part of the fun and magic of cycling !! :eek:

I find it's to warm to wear a water proof coat, as I left work it was spitting and looked like it was going to chuck it down so I put on the coat, 10 minutes later I took it off to hot.

So I think im going to be a martyr to our cycling god sooner than I thought with this crappy weather.

Downward

Guru
Luckily I left at 4.15pm in Bright Sunshine but didn't take sunglasses as I was expecting rain. A few black clouds but no rain on the commute.
Damn hot in that sun though and the wind is still as strong as ever.

Top Bottom