Wetherspoons

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brand

Perhaps you could give him the address of the charm school you went to?
The Manchester school of soft knocks.
Where is sniggers? Oh I remember he just drops in for snidey remark and buggers off and looks for another conversation to add nothing of worth to!

screenman

Legendary Member
You never said what the pub which used to be called the Bard is like?

The New Angel a friend of mine bought it renovated it and then let it, certainly cleaner than it used to be. We use it occasionally, but tend to go out to Southrey more often.

brand

The New Angel a friend of mine bought it renovated it and then let it, certainly cleaner than it used to be. We use it occasionally, but tend to go out to Southrey more often.
Never heard of it. Will add it to my must go pubs. is it an all dayer?​

I was in a wetherspoons a few weeks back and ordered a glass of wine, pint and a fruit shoot and got a tenner out..... he told me the price and I put the tenner away and got a fiver out and then got change:eek:... I thought I'd somehow travelled back to the 1980's!!!!

I was lured to one in Liverpool by the big W because I thought it was where Waterstones had moved to but it wasn't, it was where Wetherspoons had moved to which was once Blacklers, who had a big rocking horse on the 2nd floor. I wish it was still Blacklers. I might get some funny looks on the rocking horse now though.

Last edited:
Wow, the power of the internet, memories brought to life

http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/mol/visit/galleries/peoples/blackie.aspx

blackie-rocking-horse.jpg

As you were, though I think every Wetherspoons should have one.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Paging @Fab Foodie, is this viable?
I reckon so but It depends what they have available for regeneration in the kitchens ... BUT 'Spoons says that it's 'Freshly battered' so I'm guessing that they defrost frozen fish and coat it in batter made from a powder packet (as do the Lions share of most F+C shops) and deep fry which would give the best quality and most likely easiest and quickest preparation.
Fully pre-prepared battered fish is of course available frozen in the supermarket, for either fried or more likely in the domestic environment - oven reheat. The Youngs/Harry Ramsden product is a perfect example of this. However oven reheating is slow for a 'Spoons. You could use a combi microwave/heat oven or microwave and flash fry, but neither would give the same batter qualities in terms of crispness as 'freshly coated'.
Part-prepared fries are easy as chips ....

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
It is rather obvious what is causing the demise of pubs and that is the supermarkets ultra cheap alcohol. Wetherspoon have at worst had a very minor part to play in it.

We've done this to death on some other thread. Whilst cheap supermarket alcohol is a contributory factor there are more complex socio-economic aspects of the decline in the number of pubs

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Quite agree
And the rent rises, insurance rises, in fact all over head rises, a landlords inability to change, well loads more. There are pubs around here and the landlords tell us they are busier since the smoking ban. Surely in business it is better to cater t the majority, for example the non smokers.
Not to mention the demise of the large heavy industries that saw the likes of Scotswood Road go from dozens of pubs to the odd one without a Wetherspoons in sight and a move away from a swift one in the pub at lunch or straight after work and the clampdown and social unacceptability of drink driving and supermarkets selling beer at shirt button prices and gastro pubs and more at home entertainments such as Sky TV taking 3pm Saturday football & meeting up in the pub before and after out of the equation for armchair fans and a Tesco carryout, gaming consoles, computers, forums even taking up leisure time and social interactions that would likely otherwise have gone on in the pub.

Oh yes Wetherspoons has a lot to answer for in killing off the traditional pub.

subaqua

What’s the point
It is rather obvious what is causing the demise of pubs and that is the supermarkets ultra cheap alcohol. Wetherspoon have at worst had a very minor part to play in it.

partly correct .

the wetherspoons magazine i read while waiting for my food was making a large point of campaigning for cuts on VAT or tax breaks for ALL pubs and bemoaning the subsidies supermarkets effectively get due to the way alcohol is taxed .so there are as others have said, lots of other reasons pubs are closing.but you cant blame wetherspoons for that.
thats like blaming Halfords for LBS closing

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I reckon so but It depends what they have available for regeneration in the kitchens ... BUT 'Spoons says that it's 'Freshly battered' so I'm guessing that they defrost frozen fish and coat it in batter made from a powder packet (as do the Lions share of most F+C shops) and deep fry which would give the best quality and most likely easiest and quickest preparation.
Fully pre-prepared battered fish is of course available frozen in the supermarket, for either fried or more likely in the domestic environment - oven reheat. The Youngs/Harry Ramsden product is a perfect example of this. However oven reheating is slow for a 'Spoons. You could use a combi microwave/heat oven or microwave and flash fry, but neither would give the same batter qualities in terms of crispness as 'freshly coated'.
Part-prepared fries are easy as chips ....
Pretty well spot on. As said before, my eldest works in a Wetherspoons kitchen right now, its clam grills, microwaves and fryers. No frills, there is no Cheffing done on site, it is as pre-prepared and bulk supplied as possible both for the cost and the turnaround time that people generally demand and that JDW expect staff to meet.

*edit* they also have the specials nights etc and he & GF also a spoons employee, will be discussing whether the 25 chicken balti's but only 4 peppered steaks will cover demand, they are supplied centrally based on analysis of prior demands but can get caught out with occasional family groups stag do's etc turning up and skewing their predictions *end*

It isn't cordon bleu, it isn't marketed as that but they still have to meet not only the same legal H&S and hygeine and food prep regs as every other food prep establishment but cleanliness and freshness and organisational standards demanded and strictly enforced by wetherspoons themselves and monitored by regular routine and flash inspection with serious consequences for all the staff in terms of disciplinary and lost bonuses and jobs on the line for managers if problems are found either big enough in one go or not rectified and standards raised between one visit and the next.

Last edited:
Top Bottom