Web site worth

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thomas

the tank engine
cisamcgu said:
Hey, cycle chat is worth loads of money :o)

Those sites give no real value of a website.

Typically, you're looking at 12 months revenue as a minimum price. Though, obviously with cyclechat the price would be more an estimate of what someone things they could make out of it and what they're prepared to pay for that.

thomas

the tank engine
kettle said:
What do you think of

olympicresults.org.uk

As a domain name (no site loads)? I guess it's okay, but the .co.uk would have been better IMO. If a site was to be put on it and ranked well for different Olympic results I guess it could be worth something. Domain pricing and the olympics aren't an area I really have any experience in.

I usually do freelance work or make my own sites which make money from advertising :o)

ASC1951

Guru
kettle said:
What do you think of

olympicresults.org.uk
A few - a very very few - sites make significant money just out of advertising on the back of a catchy domain name.

But getting a return from doing it without any design, computing, marketing and media skills? Forget it. It's the Computer Age's pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
cisamcgu said:
Hey, cycle chat is worth loads of money :sad:
graph?c=1&u=cyclechat.co.uk&r=6m&y=t&z=3&h=200&w=350&b=EAEAEA.png
what happened in the first week of November?

dellzeqq said:
graph?c=1&u=cyclechat.co.uk&r=6m&y=t&z=3&h=200&w=350&b=EAEAEA.png
what happened in the first week of November?

Greedo joined? :sad:

It could be worth a hell of a lot more if Shaun decided to monetise it better [EDIT: I don't mean "better", i mean more aggressively], although only shaun know what revenue it takes. The only monetisation i've seen has been google adwords ads for logged-out users. I don't know what proportion of PV's come from Google SEO and what proportion is us, I'd guess the majority are logged-in users, so I wouldn;t be surprised if revenue's could be trebled overnight by pushing those ads to us.

Those ads could be extended, perhaps not just in the north, but scrolling in the east. Considering the quality ad-matching i've seen and the nature of our intent, i'm sure that the ads would get a pretty high CTR and the advertisers CPA would improve leading to higher PPC's and rev-share for Shaun.

Alternatively, affiliate deals with wiggle,ribble etc could add an addition 3-5% revenue stream.

This of course has to balance user-experience so as not to distract users from their intent and therefore increase abandonment.

Basically...what i'm trying to say I believe $22k is an underestimate.

p.s The above pretty sums up my day to day working life. Now you know what i do.

rh100

thomas said:
I usually do freelance work or make my own sites which make money from advertising :ohmy:

Tollers said:
p.s The above pretty sums up my day to day working life. Now you know what i do.

Can you guys recommend any good reading on the subject? not expecting to make a living at it myself, but would like to learn.

rh100 said:
Can you guys recommend any good reading on the subject? not expecting to make a living at it myself, but would like to learn.

Most of the best material is online as the game changes so often. There are so many different business models on the web, but the most conventional and commonly used is Google's Adwords :ohmy: (Google are evil)

I'd start here http://uk.search.yahoo.com/search;_...etization&fr2=sb-top&fr=yfp-t-702&rd=r1&sao=0

then move onto..

http://uk.search.yahoo.com/search;_...p=adwords&fr2=sb-top&fr=yfp-t-702&rd=r1&sao=1

Best way is to learn for yourself.....

Read about "SEO"...i.e getting traffic through Search Engine Optimisation
Buy a few domain names - Choosing carefully
Look up "domain parking". Get ads on your site
Try developing some content on a different domain name
Add Google adwords
See the pennies roll in
Buy a pint

That will give you the fundamentals. As mentioned earlier, you have to have something really good to make serious money. Shaun could and if he get's some serious growth in here, then i'd be surprised if he doesn't get enquiries to sell-up.

Shaun. I'll swap the site for my Ribble!

rh100

Cheers Tollers, will take a look.
I've heard of googles adwords from a colleague, is that where you 'bid' for a placing in the results?

rh100 said:
Cheers Tollers, will take a look.
I've heard of googles adwords from a colleague, is that where you 'bid' for a placing in the results?

Yes and no......"bidding for a place in the results" is SEM, Search Engine Marketing, which bring leads/pageviews to your site on a PPC (pay per click) basis. This too is "adwords", but not what you need. This is different from SEO, Search Engine Optimisation which is tuning your website to rank as well as possible in the free/"natural"/"organic listings.

However, you can take ads of advertisers and put them on your page, the search engine (Google, Yahoo, Bing) etc will look through the content of your page and try to choose the most relevant ads. If your users then click on that ad, the advertiser will have to pay the search engine for each click, but you get your precentage cut.

The best tip for making money from any website, be it a small blog or the most popular webpage on the world....is.......know how to make money out of it, but put your user first! ALWAYS!

Top Bottom