Week off work? Better get out on the bike then.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
After booking the wrong week off work (Don't ask! I was supposed to book off the half term week in 2 weeks time...) I have no major plans for the week so that means lots of free time to get out for a ride. So this morning porridge was on the menu, then after the Mrs went to work and my son had gone to school, I got myself ready, made a flask of coffee and a sandwich and chucked them in my rucksack. I had about 5 hours spare so I had worked out a route of about 60 miles.

5 miles into the ride was the first major climb into Bovingdon, a couple of cyclists heading down nodded, I panted back at them and made it to the top fairly quickly (for my standards!) A few more miles passed and I was heading down hill into Chesham, I was pleased I was cycling down White Hill as it is pretty steep. My turn to wave at a panting cyclist going the other way and I got a half hearted grunt back.

A longish climb was next, not too steep into Gt. Missenden, then I hooked a right on to the A-road towards Aylesbury. Fairly flat with a little head wind and I was chipping along nicely around 20-22 mph. This went on for a few more miles, the wind getting a little stronger at times. By now I was 20 miles into the ride and warming up nicely spinning along with a fairly high cadence of about 80 - 90.

Time to turn left and head towards Thame, I had the wind behind me and the next ten miles on flat roads flew by, the sun was out and it was a beautiful day to be out on the bike.

30 miles in and I was getting hungry, and by chance there was a picnic table in a lay-by and the perfect place to stop and have a cuppa and a bite to eat. Refueled, I headed off towards Aylesbury. The surrounding countryside was dead flat, great for cycling, also great for head winds and it was really strong today! Thankfully I turned off the main road and went through a couple of villages and before I knew it I was heading into Aylesbury town centre.

Less than 20 miles to home, the wind had died down and wasn't a problem anymore, which was welcomed as it was starting to get a bit hilly heading towards Tring. By now I was 45 miles in and I must admit my legs we're feeling it as I climbed up Tring Hill. Through the village of Tring and then a gentle sweep down into Berkhamstead and through the high street, flying past the non moving traffic jam that always seems to be Berkhamstead high street.

I had the last 5 miles in front of me, traffic was building up as I rode into Hemel Hempstead, past the train station and then into Apsley,dodging cars as I went. It's a great feeling when your cycling faster than the traffic!

One last climb and I was a mile from home. By the time I was at my front door the Garmin said I had done 59.85 miles so I did a quick once-round-the-block to put it to over 60.

I had a great ride, I have a few things to do tomorrow but I am hoping to get out for an hour or so, not too far as I did 42 miles sunday, so I don't want to over-do it

Booking the wrong week off? I don't think so....

Stats for the ride

Time:03:40:58Distance:60.07 miElevation Gain:2,057 ft

Avg Speed. 16.3mph Max Speed 32.7

Jay

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I get time off through the week as my normal work rota includes weekends.If you dodge the major towns and stay out off the rush hours it can be really pleasant just riding for the sake of it.

Did about 30 miler this morning only problems were low sun and headwinds no matter which way I was going,or it felt like that anyway :biggrin:

I have a seat post bar and bag for food , flask etc.Prefer not to wear a rucksac if I can avoid it, also use mtb shoes with recessed cleats for rides like this for more relaxed walking if anything interesting takes my eye.

best bit is having all day and no commitments to fret over.

If I cant be arsed fitting the seat post rack I have a stainless flask that fits in the second bottle cage I put it in a sock to stop it rattling Mrs banjo cant work out how I get holes in socks in such odd places :rolleyes:

Big T

Guru
Chapeau!

That's a fair average for a lone hilly ride, especially carrying a rucksack.

I've quite a few days leave to use up before the end of the year, si I might have a week off whilst thye weather's still fairly decent (cue - incessant rain for the next month!)

Top Bottom