Weight loss and cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PurplePoodle

How long would you say it takes for the weight to fall off when you start cycling? Idealy I'd like to cycle for atleast an hour a day and hope it will get off some of the pounds!

Psyclist

Über Member
How long would you say it takes for the weight to fall off when you start cycling? Idealy I'd like to cycle for atleast an hour a day and hope it will get off some of the pounds!

I'd say an hours ride a day will lose some calories. But you should watch your calorie intake. Try and ride in the evening after you've eaten a small meal to watch your calorie intake.

I'm on the goal of losing weight at the moment as my gf doesn't like my beer gut.

I lost nearly 2lbs in a week from riding 4 times (15 miles a day)

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Everyone is different, but for what it is worth when I first started cycling about 7 miles a day to work I lost 2 stone in six months. Since then I seem to have settled at about 11 stone and it seems to make very little difference how much I ride (or not) now.

col

Legendary Member
Get comfortably out of breath during the hour, and your metabolism will speed up so using more calories and excess fat. The more effort the more loss, and if you watch what you eat it will come off quicker. Dont look for it daily, only look weekly. If your not that overweight use a tape measure if you cant see much difference, but remember your legs might get a little bigger and heavier if you put some muscle on them too.

simon.r

Person
I'm similar to Phil - I lost a stone fairly quickly when I started cycling regularly, but I've maintained the same weight (give or take 2 or 3 pounds) since. My theory* is that I've hit the weight my body is comfortable with and that my body tells me to eat enough to maintain that weight.

My BMI is about 23, yet I'm fairly regularly told I'm skinny. I put this down to the fact that so many people are overweight it's become normal, so anyone who isn't overweight is considered skinny!

*Which is totally free of any scientific research:smile:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I started last April and built up the miles from 6 miles 3 times a week to September when it was 100 miles a week.

The weight loss was fairly regular; 1/2 a stone a month for 6 months. As fitness built up and weight went down I needed to cycle further and faster to keep losing it.

April - 6 miles x 3 per week
May - 6/12 miles x 4 per week
June - 20 miles x 4 per week
July - 20 miles x 5
Aug - 25 miles x 5/6
Sept - 20 miles x 4 + 30-40 miles extra

However, everyone's different. Me, I was a fat unfit 41 year-old. Changing my diet by no alcohol and occasional treats rather than 3 times a day made a big difference as well.

I'm now 11 stone and have been since last October, with a BMI of 22. I cycle 100+ miles (usually 150+) a week and eat pretty much what I want. Alcohol's still off the menu though since I've found I don't want it.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
For me, it is about 1 pound lost per 100 miles cycled. It is easier to eat less and lose weight than to burn it off, but if you do both at the same time, you'll lose it quicker! Regular 1 hour rides are a good idea because you can do them without eating extra, whereas if you went out and did (say) a single 7 hour ride once a week, you'd probably have to up your calorie intake to be able to do it, which would be counter-productive.

For me, it is about 1 pound lost per 100 miles cycled. It is easier to eat less and lose weight than to burn it off, but if you do both at the same time, you'll lose it quicker! Regular 1 hour rides are a good idea because you can do them without eating extra, whereas if you went out and did (say) a single 7 hour ride once a week, you'd probably have to up your calorie intake to be able to do it, which would be counter-productive.

+1

OP
OP
P

PurplePoodle

Only managed about 25 mins for cycling tonight and I was knackered.. Looks like it's going to be slow progress!! I have weak leg muscles as about 2 years ago I was still using a wheel chair so cycling will build them up hopefully

Top Bottom