Weight Loss

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lizban

Currently changing my body shape from rugby player to rugby ref, so need to shift a fair few KGs. I’m sure that there are a number of people also trying to achieve the same, so I thought I’d post my progress on here and encourage others to do the same to try and form a bit of mutual encouragement:

Start Date: 30 January

Start Weight: 113 KG (17.79 Stone)

Height: 6ft 4

Target Weight: 92 KG (14.5 Stone)

Current Weight: 106.9 KG (16.8 Stone)

What’s working?

• Having a regular office to commute 20 miles a day to
  • My fitness pal app on the phone (free calorie counter)
  • Cutting booze to 1 day a week
  • Smaller but more regular meals

What’s not working

• Cutting out my morning latte just can’t live with out it (it is skimmed milk now)

So how are you doing and do you have any tips?

I have had to watch my weight all my life. I currently am 12 stone 7 which at 5'9" is not bad (also as I am now 50 years old). I have been a couple of stone more but have kept where I am for about 5 years now.

I do not count calories I have just developed a bit of a radar for sweet and fatty foods and avoid them.

A bit of exercise is great although I would watch any that build too much muscle. Weight is still weight be it in fat or muscle that your heart needs to pump blood around.

I am really against the smaller and more regular meals idea.
Eat a big breakfast and then last until lunch time. Eat a decent lunch and last until your evening meal. In between just stick to fruit and carbs if you have to.

That way you are regulating yorself to three main "eating times". Make an event of theat meal and get full enough to last you to then next meal. Then forget about food until that meal time.

If you graze and have small meals you are never full and all the time is food time.

Do not cut down on quantity, just change to cut out fat and sugar from what you eat.

Generally I avoid anything that has more than about 5% fat as the protein part of my meal. I have only about 1/2 pint of skimmed milk per day. Go cold turkey and do not replace sugar with sweetners. Better to re train your taste to not want or like sweetness. Same with fat. Cut it out and then you will soon not like fatty food.

Eat lots of spuds! They are low calorie food and fill you up. Same with pasta and rice etc. Big mistake to cut these down. Bread is also OK.
Wholemeal and brown foods are great to fill you up and you feel full for longer.

Mainly I think it is a mater of changing your food intake gradually and making the changes a long term change. It is not going to be for a month or a year but for the rest of your life.

OP
OP
L

Lizban

OTH IT just shows how different we are! I can have the largest meal in the world and I feel hungry between 1.5- 3 hours later.

By eating smaller and more regular it stops me snacking and keeps me going.

potsy

Rambler
Lizban, there is a weight watchers thread in 'health and fitness' plenty of similar minded people there
thumbsup.png

MarkF

Guru
Good luck Lizban.

Excercise:- With the Jan weather too cold to cycle I took out a 2 month gym membership, every single day, I've cycled for 45 mins, rowed 2km and lifted weights for 20 mins. I am now back cycling but still doing this regime daily.

Diet:- I started my diet on Jan 1st and am doing very well. I was drinking too much so cut it out completely, I've had zero alcohol since. Looked at loads of "diets" but the only one that made sense to me was "If man made it, don't eat it and if it tastes good, spit it out" (Jack Lalanne). I don't eat much crap anyway and don't eat any meat, still, I've not eaten anything "bad" since Jan 1st, no pasties, no sweets, no bread, no milk. Processed is out.

The results have been startling, I've lost weight, perhaps not as much as I expected but this is because my body, my upper body in particular now has more muscle, I'm a completely different, better, shape.

I am lucky in that, as I said, my diet was good anyway (apart from too much wine and beer) and I am pretty dedicated (stubborn) when I decide to do something so, "treats" are never a temptation.

Top Bottom