Weird incident tonight in Shirley Soton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dand_uk

Hi all. I thought I'd share a weird incident that just happened to me on a ride around town. Kinda summed up quite a bad week of commuting.

I was heading into Shirley Soton from the direction of the station. There is a crossroad junction where you need to take the RH lane to go straight on. Nothing behind so I join the queue, bus ahead and another pulls up behind, there's another cyclist ahead.

Light goes green and the queue sets off slowed by the cyclist in front. Anyhoo on approach to the next crossroads I nearly catch the cyclist ahead. He's riding in the door zone but I'm further out. I don't overtake him and we get to the crossroad queue a few seconds later. I stop in normal position in the queue.

A guy on a moped with L plates pulls up behind, opens his helmet and starts swearing at me! Things come out his mouth between F words such as
"you should be in the other lane" (only one lane at this junction!)
" you should ride on the pavement"
"do you want to die? Don't you have children to go home to?"

He had a strong accent possibly Eastern European.

I am shocked and don't know what to say but I do remember saying read the highway code and it's illegal to ride on the footway. I also wave my hand to dismiss the "do you want to die" comment.

To avoid any confrontation I let him go ahead when the lights go green and I match his pace until he pulls off left. (quick ring-a-ding on my bell!)

Weird huh?

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
[QUOTE 1758087, member: 45"]I once upset a van driver in in Solihull (Shirley, coincidentally). He was French and spent the whole red light sequence shouting at me in French. I have no idea what he was saying.[/quote]
1309333630-34.png

Trevrev

Veteran
I cycle shirley highstreet every working day, coming from the other way though. The biggest problem i find is pedestrians just walking out in front of me.

OP
OP
D

dand_uk

Shirley High Street ?
Not a good place to be cycling anyway.
I actually find Shirley High St not too bad as the traffic is usually slowed by all the junctions and traffic lights. If you can keep up with the traffic and take the lane it is no problem. If you get in the flow behind a bus even better - free wheel all the way!

PpPete

Legendary Member
I rode it on my regular commute 30 odd years ago.... in the days of Never-Ready lights "powered" by two D cells. Makes me shudder to think about it now.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
A 50cc moped fought to overtake me on Chapel Road. I dropped him, got to the junction and went up by Debenhams. Another time I let a moped overtake by Debenhams and he seemed really shocked that I matched his speed for about a mile. Kept looking around as if to say "he's STILL there!!?"

Dand-uk I take it you mean here? (Google isnt in date, left hand lane is left turn only).

There's a big Polish community living in Shirley and parts of the city centre (eg the new flats down by Orchard Place iirc). Many don't know the UK road rules, I work with a lot of Polish people and we've had a few discussions over it. What's the law on this..? I had a chinese friend who had to take a full UK driving test before being allowed on the road, despite having driven for many years in his home country.

OP
OP
D

dand_uk

Dand-uk I take it you mean here? (Google isnt in date, left hand lane is left turn only).

Yeh that's the place. Wish SCC hadn't changed the junction into straight on RH lane with a pathetic ASL and narrow feeder. Puts straight on newbie cyclists into conflict with left turning vehicles who now have a relatively open road.

I was guessing he was probably polish but I thought most Europeans were more bike savvy than english people? Clearly not!

I had a chinese friend who had to take a full UK driving test before being allowed on the road, despite having driven for many years in his home country.

If you've ever seen them driving at home its probably a good idea. Sort of freeform traffic flow.

Top Bottom