Welding Problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Skipper

Has anyone had the bottom bracket snap completely away from the rest of the bike? I was giving it some wellie and all of a sudden the weld around the crank/bottom bracket gave way. It was starting to feel like a bolt was coming loose, then the bike snapped in two, and the seat tube is no longer connected! It's a Claude Butler Urban 500, only a year old, and the weld joint has separated. END OF BIKE. :-( Is this common?

Keith Oates

Janner
It's the first time I've heard of that, did you get hurt when it happened!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Skipper

Skipper

Not hurt. Feet off the pedals and the bike swerved all over the road, but fortunately the car behind was a little way back, otherwise serious trouble! Looking at a Giant Roam now, any advice?

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Off the CB website:
"R I G I D F R AME A N D F O R K S – L I F E T IME
A l l r i g i d f r a m e s a n d f o r k s ( w i t h t h e e x c e p t i o n o f
s u s p e n s i o n f o r k s , s u s p e n s i o n f r ame s , re a r s h o c k s a n d
c a r b o n f i b re f r a m e a n d f o r k s ) - l i f e t i m e w a r r a n t y."

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
It happened to a Dawes Galaxy of mine when going up a rather steep hill in Flanders. At the time it was fully loaded as I was on my way to Switzerland. It's very uncommon failure, but that's of no comfort if it happens to you with about 1000km to go on your journey.

wintonbina

Über Member
+1.
If it was older/not under warranty then you could re-weld it. It probally wasn't stress relieved properly (like me:wacko:). Glad you weren't hurt though!

Has anyone had the bottom bracket snap completely away from the rest of the bike? I was giving it some wellie and all of a sudden the weld around the crank/bottom bracket gave way. It was starting to feel like a bolt was coming loose, then the bike snapped in two, and the seat tube is no longer connected! It's a Claude Butler Urban 500, only a year old, and the weld joint has separated. END OF BIKE. :-( Is this common?
The only time I heard of that happening was when I received a recall notice from Cannondale for my 1988/89 Mountain Bike for a weld issue at the seat post.

wintonbina

Über Member
Not a good idea. The yield has come about due to a failure in one or more of the frame assembly processes. Probably an over-heat during welding. I wouldn't trust the tubing in that area ever again.
It all depends on your(or bike shop's) expertise. It was part of my job many years ago. If it was the weld that went(so to speak) it could be just that, not the tubing. :thumbsup:

subaqua

What’s the point
only on a cheap chinese BMX lookylikey as a kid. welded the BB back on stripped it down regreased the bearings and it ran for years. on a bike of your age its back to the shop for warranty exchange.

Top Bottom