went to linux!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

weely

I have just installed ubuntu linux and i must say its very good. The thing is I also have windows running alongside each other. (which takes up alot of disk space)
I feel now ready to get rid of windows all together and go with linux but how do i delete windows?

Congrats, but are you really really sure...? (I keep Windows for gaming and am writing this from Ubuntu)

If you are, then if you are using Gnome as a window manager (Ubuntu default), then choosing System menu, Administration, Partition Manager will load GParted which will allow you to remove the entire windows partition and reformat it....make sure you choose the right partition!

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Depends on how you have your HD partitioned, make sure you back up all your data first, then remove the windows partition as above. Take care not to remove the MBR as you won't be able to boot otherwise.

Or the simpler way is to back up all your data, formate the HD and reinstall Ubuntu from the CD...

Garz

Squat Member
Backup all your stuff to an external drive or to disc. The real data wont take up much space, and alot of the programs can either be replaced or wont port.

As you are happy with what it has to offer format and install from fresh if you can do without m$. Enjoy! :bravo:

solmisation

Enjoy the choice, so many good distro's out there! Try a few of the live CD's, at the moment I'm running openSUSE 11.1 as my main OS but I also have the Beta of Ubuntu9.10 (Karmic Koala) and Xp on this system. Linux Mint is a very good spin off from Ubuntu.
Have fun:smile:

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Unless you're stuffed for space, I think I'd keep Windows as a back up. It's easier to get drivers for some devices for Windows than for Linux. Also, some applications won't work on Linux and there aren't exact equivalents.

I've just had the fun of going in the reverse direction and removing SuSE linux from my dual-boot Xp system (needed the spare drive it was installed on for another job). Removing SuSE was easy. Removing Grub - i.e. repairing the mbr - was educational... I think I'm going to stick with live cd versions (and Puppy) for a while until I'm ready for another dip into installing to hard drive. Either that or use an old base as a dedicated linux machine.

D

Deleted member 1258

Started dual booting XP and Ubuntu last January, a couple of months later I ditched XP and have been happy on Ubuntu only since then.

Top Bottom