Wet weather gear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have just started to cycle 21 mls to work on 3 days a week because of the rising cost of petrol, it is a bit ambitious but I am fit enough, the one thing I would like to know is what to carry for wet emergencies, when I was a youngster I remember my wife's dad having a yellow cape but that is 40 yrs ago, I currently wear my running gear in the dry and have a waterproof cycle jacket, its my legs and feet that I am concerned about as my SPD shoes are not waterproof neither are my tracksters, anybody help.

Welcome to the Forum.
You can wear waterproof sock (like Sealskinz) or Overshoes to keep your feet dry. For your legs you can try some waterproof like rainlegs, I would advise against full water proof trousers as cycling 21 mile you'll get more wet from sweat than you will from the rain. Personally my self I'd just go with a waterproof jacket and sock /overshoes only when needed.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Overshoes with a corner of a plastic bag underneath - keeps the worse of the spray out. 21 miles, as said...you'll cook with waterproof pants - I have some for my 11 mile commute - get a bit hot, but arrive pretty dry, even in torrential conditions

Tynan

Veteran
wear as little clothing as you need to be warm, frankly I wouldn't bother with a rain top unless it's cold and then a lightweight one

feet are a nuisance, overshoes help but if you're in the rain for a decent period of time your feet will get wet, I've found now I'm wearing very light summer socks that wet feet ware far less unpleasant, less squelch and slosh

it'll depend on how hard you ride, it's only water all said and done and you can only get wet, if you're wearing light and cycle specific kit, it won't get that wet at all and will dry off very quickly

skwerl

most effective things at keeping you dry are full mudguards. Spray off the road is what really soaks you - feet especially. Rain actually doesn't make you that wet, unless it's pouring and a good jacket will keep most of that off.

Maz

Guru
I've never been a big fan of overshoes, to be honest. I let my feet get soaked and keep a spare pair of socks at work.

HelenD123

Guru
Maz said:
I let my feet get soaked and keep a spare pair of socks at work.

But my shoes took a couple of days to dry out when I got soaked last week. Best to prevent them getting wet in the first place if possible. I haven't tried overshoes though so can't comment on them.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
HelenD123 said:
But my shoes took a couple of days to dry out when I got soaked last week. Best to prevent them getting wet in the first place if possible. I haven't tried overshoes though so can't comment on them.

Overshoes will keep most of it off up to a point however if it is tipping it down then you are going to get wet feet

Tynan

Veteran
HelenD123 said:

stuff them with balled newspaper, remove it and repeat after an hour

it really does work

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
joebe said:
It's summer, wear as little as possible and get wet.

Many a true word spoken in jest! If it is raining hard for the journey in, I take the car (actually pretty rare in practice), and if I know it is likely to rain in the afternoon for the journey home, so what?!! If you only wear cycling stuff and not work clothes, it doesn't really matter. You do a considerably longer commute than I do, so I suppose you would have to give some thought as to not getting cold if the temperature has dipped a tad.
In colder weather, I have a cycling cape, but I rarely use it, and cheapo waterproof trousers as an alternative.

If you're going door-to-door and can shower and change quickly at each end it's not such a big deal. If, like me, you have a train journey too, it can be unpleasant sitting in soggy clothes. Even so you'll rarely get soaked.

Wear as little as you can to stay warm, put proper mudguards on the bike, and carry a spare top so that you don't have to put wet ones on in the evening.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Tynan said:
stuff them with balled newspaper, remove it and repeat after an hour

it really does work
Absolutely. I was going to post this but you beat me to it. More broadly, one of the things that makes the biggest difference is the facilities at work. I commute in half an hour or so each way every working day of the year, regardless of weather, and I've never worn any kind of wet weather gear at all. But then I do have the luxury of a shower at work. (And at home.) So if it pisses down, I get wet (but not cold - the exercise keeps me warm). Then I get there. Then I get in the shower. Then I put on dry clothes. Sorted. And as Tynan says, if you stuff your shoes with newspaper, it draws out the moisture like magic.

Top Bottom